Recording direct with Line6 Spider 75

keneds

I just picked up a Line 6 spider 75 amp and it has a Head phone / D.I. 1/4" jack on the rear panel. I was curious to how to properly hook it up to my interface (Line 6 UX1) for recording so I contacted Line 6 support. This is how they told me to connect the amp D.I. to my interface. "You will need an impedance matcher to connect the DI output of the amp to the instrument input of the UX1" The cable they tell me to use is a 1/4" TRS / XLR with the impedance matcher into the guitar input of my interface. Does anyone do it this way? The rear of my interface has two line inputs also.

I dont want to fry anything thats why I am lookin for a second opinion. I think I might be picking up an SM57 soon.

Thanks, Ken

It sounds doable...but just to be clear, you want to take the simulator portion of the Line 6 amp (since you are bypassing the actual amplification/speaker combination) and then run that into another Line 6 guitar simulator...?

Are the amp simulations different in the Spider than what you have in the Line 6 UX1...?

I should be able to run a processed sound from the amp through a "clean" channel without any simulated effect, if that makes any sense... I have pod farm 2.0 and I think the amp has alot more to offer.

I should be able to run a processed sound from the amp through a "clean" channel without any simulated effect, if that makes any sense... I have pod farm 2.0 and I think the amp has alot more to offer.

That's exactly what I do with my Spider II 150w. 1/4 direct-out into my Digitech RP150 on a clean channel. The only thing I'm running on the RP150 is a cab sim. There are zero other effects or additions.

You can hear it on one of the new tracks I'm working on.

(EDIT: there's no bass here... just two guitar tracks and DFH. This track is still very much in the works)

Vhyle, Is the cord your using from the direct output on your amp a stereo 1/4"? Your tracks sound really good!

Is sticking a mic on the speaker out of the question, or something? What ever happened to people just miking the speaker of the amp they already own? When did recording guitar become so complicated? :wtf:

For real though, not trying to be mean or rude, just mic the thing.

Sorry, just saw you were getting a mic soon. It's early. I'm not awake yet. :D

The Spider's DI output is stereo. Run a stereo 1/4" output to a splitter to the 2 line ins on the back of the UX1. Who at Line 6 told you to use the TRS/XLR impedance thingie? Someone on the user forums?

Keep your amp volume down when you do this - although you are bypassing the amp's main power section, the master volume still affects the output level.

Vhyle, Is the cord your using from the direct output on your amp a stereo 1/4"? Your tracks sound really good!

Thanks! Yes, it's a standard 1/4" stereo output.

The next release I'm recording will be all recorded in this fashion... I'm extremely satisfied with the tones I'm getting from this amp, and especially through the direct output.

Greg - I have nothing against recording guitar the old-fashioned way. All I have is an SM57, with an XLR-to-1/4 adapter, and no mic stand of any sort. I have no XLR mic interface either - the Digitech is my only interface of any kind. By recording it direct-out like I am, I can record great-sounding tracks right now, without needing to spend a dime on another piece of equipment. Since my budget is usually pretty tight, I make it work quite well.

That, and doing direct-out recording like this, I can record through the wee hours of the night if I so choose. Plug in the headphones and play away!

By recording it direct-out like I am, I can record great-sounding tracks

That's very subjective.

Maybe I'm a hopeless purist or a sucker for punishment, but I'd rather track and hear real amps, real drums, real bass, real everything, etc. I have nothing against modellers or sims, and have used them myself many times, but it seems to me that the skill/art of miking actual sound successfully is fading away and too many people are just fine with that because it's easy. I am not okay with that and never will be.

Last edited:
That's very subjective.

Maybe I'm a hopeless purist or a sucker for punishment, but I'd rather track and hear real amps, real drums, real bass, real everything, etc. I have nothing against modellers or sims, and have used them myself many times, but it seems to me that the skill/art of miking actual sound successfully is fading away and too many people are just fine with that because it's easy. I am not okay with that and never will be.

Oh well.

Tone is subjective. Always has been, always will be. It doesn't matter how it was recorded.

But I'm hoping you're not assuming it was easy for me to dial in that tone to how I like it. Yes, everything I record is direct-input and very digital, but I have spent a LOT of time making small tweaks on every tone that I've used. Like, hours a day for days, or even sometimes weeks. I'll tweak and dial in something, play it for a while, wake up the next day and start changing it again or start over completely, because it wasn't exactly to how I was hearing it in my head.

This new one I posted earlier is no different. It's the best one I think I've dialed in so far, mainly because I'm obviously using an amp now. My point is that us digital/DI guys can be just as meticulous and picky as anyone else when it comes to our sounds. I know I am. Yes, the exclusion of a real cab in the recording does take a lot of work out into recording the perfect tone, but it doesn't make it any "easier".

That's just me though.

EDIT: And all the tweaking and dialing that I do along the way... I greatly enjoy it! The thrill of the hunt, or something along those lines.

the exclusion of a real cab in the recording does take a lot of work out into recording the perfect tone, but it doesn't make it any "easier".

Taking the work out of something by definition makes it easier.

I've used good and bad sims and I've used good and bad amps. Sims are exponentially easier. That's my opinion, but I really doubt that anyone could come up with a convincing argument that can prove me wrong. Sims are easier than amps. Sims exist because recording real amps is expensive, loud, and can be difficult. Sims make guitar recording way easier. Literally anyone with a Squire, a guitar cable, an interface or processor, and cracked software can do it.

No matter though, I wasn't talking about you specifically. I haven't heard your tones. I was speaking in general.

By recording it direct-out like I am, I can record great-sounding tracks right now...

... but I have spent a LOT of time making small tweaks on every tone that I've used. Like, hours a day for days, or even sometimes weeks.

Apart from the "noise to others" issue of playing though an amp...I don't much see the benefit of sims over amps.
OK...maybe if you have to really do it on the cheap, and a single pod will get your there for a lot less than an amp...
...but still, sims users often argue how they can get great tones without the work, yet as you pointed out, you spend sometimes weeks dialing in, or more likely digitally fixing, the tones you get from a pod.
So I don't see that as any easier than putting a mic in front of an amp.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe it's just my own limited observation...but it appears that these days, most guys that do Metal/Death Metal and all that kind of stuff...are totally about sims and digital manipulation of every note/beat.

I've often said that while some sims can do great tones...I've always noticed a very "homogenized" flavor from most sims (that digital "buzz")...and nowhere is that more apparent than when I listen to Metal type of stuff. It's almost like the whole point IS to make it/keep it "homogenized" sounding from start to finish.
Also, when the music is very loud/overdriven...it's always going to be harder (and less important) to hear subtle tone nuances. When you play more "open/sparse" kind of guitar stuff, then the quality of tones really comes to the forefront, as opposed to just doing that full-tilt, driven kind of sound where it's all a tonal blur.

I still think that for more open/sparse guitar playing, and/or where leads really have a wider area to work with in the stereo image...what you get from a real amp and mic setup will always sound more "real", more organic and not so homogonized....but like I said, I do get the feeling that these days Metal music IS all about having that "homogenized" sound throughout and from song to song. I don't say that as a put down of Metal music...just my observation on the evolution of Metal from what it use to sound like 10-20 years back.

I listened to your stuff on Reverbnation, and it's very well done, but I do hear the digital sim quality in most of the guitar tracks. It's all in that upper mid-to high end. That seems to be where for me most sims get that homogonized digital flavor when OD simulations are used. It's a kind of "buzzy", almost brittle sound.

Last edited:
I've always noticed a very "homogenized" flavor from most sims (that digital "buzz")...and nowhere is that more apparent than when I listen to Metal type of stuff. It's almost like the whole point IS to make it/keep it "homogenized" sounding from start to finish

I agree with your observation. It seems that metal players prefer that one dimensional, synthetic, cartoon-like sound void of any dynamics and subtle nuances. Amp sims excel at these types of tones which is why metalheads embrace them and old school players despise them.

I agree with your observation. It seems that metal players prefer that one dimensional, synthetic, cartoon-like sound void of any dynamics and subtle nuances. Amp sims excel at these types of tones which is why metalheads embrace them and old school players despise them.

I agree with this to a point. I don't think that dead giveaway sound is the sims fault though. It's the user's fault. I think that probably most home-recording metalhead basement superstars simply don't have experience with using or recording truly good sounding rigs, so they don't know how to tweak a sim to sound like a real amp. Today's quality sims are very good. But they're only as good as the guy using them.

I think that probably most home-recording metalhead basement superstars simply don't have experience with using or recording truly good sounding rigs, so they don't know how to tweak a sim to sound like a real amp.

Yes, either that, or as what I'm observing, that Metal these days even at pro/commercial levels IS all about the homogenized digital sound. Everything identical, from the first strum to the last...from the first snare hit to the last...and the beat has to be 100% robotic-perfect from beginning to end.

Hey, If that's what they like...then that's what they like...I'm just commenting on what I hear.
One can say it's no different than hearing that vocal "chirp" in every R&B tune...it's become like a required ingredient, otherwise it's not "authentic" R&B.
So I think with Metal, the digital perfection and homogenization has also become a required element for it to be accepted as authentic Metal these days.

Yes, either that, or as what I'm observing, that Metal these days even at pro/commercial levels IS all about the homogenized digital sound. Everything identical, from the first strum to the last...from the first snare hit to the last...and the beat has to be 100% robotic-perfect from beginning to end.
Lol. That's pretty much true. It's almost comical how unnatural it all sounds. Thanks technology. :D

Back