Recording Direct / Tone Issues

12foot

Just looking for some advice on recording my electric guitar direct to my laptop. Im using a Tascam 122L for my audio interface and ..AA3... My problem is getting all the tones to stand out...on one track. I read that recording should be done dry and unprocessed. After recording I adjust eqs and still am unable to make the tones sound like they should, open strings still ring out to loud and mid tones are to weak.
The question is do I record dry and then experiment with eq to find the tones, or do I record with an external hardware eq or...dunno..?

You may find it easier to get the sound you want recorded by mic-ing an amp that you have adjusted correctly. Of course, you may not, either! :laughings: Why are some strings sounding louder than others? Do your pickups need height adjustments, is it your playing style? What guitar are you using? Does it sound ok when you are playing through an amp? Consider getting some modeling software...

One thing about recording...it will point out ANY flaws or irregularities in your playing technique.

I definately dont have the best technique, as im self-taught. I don't have an amp at this time, and if I did, my neighbours would surely have me evicted. So recording direct is my only option. I have adjusted the pick ups on my Ibanez electric, but it really didnt make much difference. When recording direct with my acoustic (built in pickup), it doesnt have the tone issue that my electric does, I just dont like that it picks up every finger click when I fret.
About the modeling software, I do have a version of Guitar Rig. Do I use it as a vst or externally from my recording program while recording? I have used it to apply effects after recording, and its helped a little, but I still figured I was missing somthing or doing somthing incorrectly...I do need to experiment more 4 sure.

At any given moment, I can have one to three daughters in the house.
Between them, and the wife, when I record at night the concept of micing the guitar amp is out of the question.

While I believe there are some great tones to be gotten out of a mic'ed amp, I'm stuck recording direct as well. I've had some great luck so far with a Line6 Pod XT Live. If you want to take a listen, I have some stuff online.

Here's my link...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=927498

For the electric, I've used the Line6 the most, but I also have a Behringer Bass V-Amp that I've used for some Leslie cabinet emulator stuff. Oddly enough, I haven't found anything on the V-Amp good for electric bass.

For my electric bass and the piezo pickup on my acoustic, I've been using a SansAmp Para Driver DI. This is an awesome device.

Granted, these aren't plug-in's like you're currently using. I don't know an answer for you regarding that yet, as I've been happy using external devices. I can tell you that three of the four tunes on that page were recorded using Reaper and that any compression, equalization, modulation, or room sound/reverb was added after recording if I used Reaper.

I'm hoping to have a reason to try out some modeling software sometime this year. I'm curious about some of the technology out there.

That seems like a cool product. Would this be something to use in between an electric guitar and an interface?

Yeah, you can go direct from any passive pickup to the box with a 1/4" cable, then the output of the box is XLR to your interface as a balanced signal. Then you can add effects, distortion, whatever in your audio program all without ever making more than the sound of playing an amp-less electric guitar.

Of course, nothing really beats just playing the instrument and miking everything properly, but if you DI correctly, it's not a bad second place.

-Alex

Yeah, you can go direct from any passive pickup to the box with a 1/4" cable, then the output of the box is XLR to your interface as a balanced signal. Then you can add effects, distortion, whatever in your audio program all without ever making more than the sound of playing an amp-less electric guitar.

Of course, nothing really beats just playing the instrument and miking everything properly, but if you DI correctly, it's not a bad second place.

-Alex

That would be something I'd like to try down the road a bit. I'm enjoying my Line6 for now, but I know it's a downward spiral. Eventually, I'll be justifying using the closet as an isolation room. She's actually cool with it already. :)

Just looking for some advice on recording my electric guitar direct to my laptop. Im using a Tascam 122L for my audio interface and ..AA3... My problem is getting all the tones to stand out...on one track. I read that recording should be done dry and unprocessed. After recording I adjust eqs and still am unable to make the tones sound like they should, open strings still ring out to loud and mid tones are to weak.
The question is do I record dry and then experiment with eq to find the tones, or do I record with an external hardware eq or...dunno..?

To start, "dry" and "unprocessed" does not necessarily mean plugging your guitar directly into your tascam and then applying your effects. Just a quick checklist:

1) Do you have headphones or monitors? Or both?
2) Can you play your ibanez while recording and hear EXACTLY what you are recording...as you are recording it? This is immensely helpful....and IMO a necessity.
3) If yes, you need to get your sound to where you are happy with it, playing along to your other recorded tracks...say drums first. THEN record it.
4) If no, fix that straight away.

In general, to record direct, you should be plugging your guitar into a modeler of some sort and directing that signal to your hot tracks. Shape your tone with the modeler, but hold off on reverb, chorus, compression, and other such things. THAT is what's commonly known as recording "dry". Of course we all have our opinions and your experience may vary from mine. Good luck.

To start, "dry" and "unprocessed" does not necessarily mean plugging your guitar directly into your tascam and then applying your effects. Just a quick checklist:

2) Can you play your ibanez while recording and hear EXACTLY what you are recording...as you are recording it? This is immensely helpful....and IMO a necessity.
3) If yes, you need to get your sound to where you are happy with it, playing along to your other recorded tracks...say drums first. THEN record it.

In general, to record direct, you should be plugging your guitar into a modeler of some sort and directing that signal to your hot tracks. Shape your tone with the modeler, but hold off on reverb, chorus, compression, and other such things. THAT is what's commonly known as recording "dry". Of course we all have our opinions and your experience may vary from mine. Good luck.

+1.

i agree with you. 'dry' does not me 'dead' or 'direct'. you still want tone... but also experiment and do what you want and enjoy trying different things. every sound and every method has a purpose as long as you can use it properly. it's all about APPLICATION.

also: EQ's don't really change the 'tone'. they just pull and push frequencies in the tone that is there (but won't add anything if it's not there). my best method with recording anything... leave the FX off when recording in. get the best tone/sound you can and then make space with an EQ if you have to.

s

Thanx for all the tips...still getting frustrated with most aspects of this recording thing. Im determined...too many musical ideas to let go to waste. Ive tried everything at my disposal. Should I be using a preamp in front of my Tascam? What about this DI box I read about for impedance issues?
Then there is my distortion issue, which is why I gave up my last time around. Ive tried plugins, a few pedals I have...and all either too muddy, weak or noisy, and just wont fit in the mix. I once even tried the Pocket Pod (I tried every tweak and it was still weak for distortion). I like going from cleartone picking to a good heavy chorus, but it just never sounds right during transition, too different of a sound. Soft parts sound good on there own, and crunchy parts r mediocre at best, but together r just WRONG. Ive learned so much and overcome SOOO many obstacles to give up again.
Today I thought I had a break through with Guitar rig...Had what seemed to be a good distortion, but again didnt fit the mix...and My computer just hates recording real time with Vsts and it so takes away from the feel if u cant hear the effect while recording.......sorry 4 rambling...there must be a way...what am I missing??

I definately dont have the best technique, as im self-taught.

This, combined with the title of your thread, should give you at *least* a couple of YEARS' worth of things to do before asking another question. First-off, being self-taught has nothing to do with how good you are. Not practicing enough, and practicing right, has everything to do with how good you are.

Second, recording direct-in with the majority of amp simulators will sound like dog shit. I've heard the Line6 PODs are pretty decent, but I've never used one.

Practice every day for a couple of hours for a straight year, then start worrying about tone.

Lol..been playing most of my life with a year of absence here and there, Im not to worried about my technique, as its part of my own style. Was just in a nutshell saying im not a professional, but im as good as ill ever need to be. I am however quite concerned with recording technique. My recordings are lacking somthing. When I play live, the notes all sound, when I record, lots are missing even though they are being played...hard to explain I suppose. And its just on the electric. MY acoustic comes through quite distinct, however its not what I want to record with. Not sure if its the electric..thats one thing I havent tried different..
And what are the minority of simulators that dont sound like dog shit?

Last edited:
This, combined with the title of your thread, should give you at *least* a couple of YEARS' worth of things to do before asking another question. First-off, being self-taught has nothing to do with how good you are. Not practicing enough, and practicing right, has everything to do with how good you are.

Practice every day for a couple of hours for a straight year, then start worrying about tone.

Originally posted by 12foot >Was just in a nutshell saying Im not a professional, but I'm as good as I'll ever need to be. I am however quite concerned with recording technique.

Hmmm, Steve, I don't know....
I remember many years ago hearing Sting say that he had gone as far as he could as a bass player. He went on to write many more groovy pieces and I always dug his voice, no one else I know sounds like that. I never particularly rated him as a bassist though he has continued to craft good basslines. But I understood what he meant. And I can see what 12foot is saying too, when he says he's as good as he'll ever need to be. I kind of feel the same way {about myself, not him !}. Now, the truth is, no one who has just the level they need knows whether or not they'll get *better*. They might, they might not. Those who actively seek to get better will. But there's room in music for both. When I stop and think about it, loads of top flight artists have plateau'd, reached a point where they continued to craft great stuff, but never got better. Did Dylan or Lennon get better as guitarists after 1970 ? Was Miles a better trumpeter in 1989 than he was in 1969 ? Has Tony Iommi reached his plateau or can he get better ? And so the list could go on. Some of us simply do not have the time nor the inclination to practice an instrument for 14 hours a week for a year {we may have done once but those days may have gone for a variety of reasons}. But we can do what needs to be done now. Occasionally however, help is required to get certain sounds or achieve certain effects or progress in one's mixing/recording technique or whatever.
I dig where you're coming from though.

Some of the best advice you could get right here.
I did some recording earlier. Not the best, but I'm just trying to get used to a different modeler. Pretty much went the same route, though I did add some effects on once I had gotten the tone decent.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=927498&songID=8767436

Back