Recording Concerts

thickfreakness

I want to start recording my band's concerts to make a live CD. What is the best way to approach this? Should I direct out of the soundboard or setup a condensor mic?

Some advice would be nice!

thickfreakness said:
I want to start recording my band's concerts to make a live CD. What is the best way to approach this? Should I direct out of the soundboard or setup a condensor mic?

If you can direct out weach channel from the soundboard into an interface, thats the way to go, although not all clubs are cool with this but a few are. if your gonna direct out of the headphone or line out, no way, set up a condenser, find the sweet spot in the room and eq it later.

-Cyanide

looks like it will be a condensor then. would you recommend 1 or 2, like for an xy setup?

if you can listen to the soledad brothers' live cd on itunes, that's the sound i want to achieve.

thickfreakness said:
looks like it will be a condensor then. would you recommend 1 or 2, like for an xy setup?

if you can listen to the soledad brothers' live cd on itunes, that's the sound i want to achieve.

Are you telling me that the club owners wont let you tap off the FOH for your recording and you are the band? if so I would tell them to kiss my ass and go find another gig! what you want to do will not get in the way with what they have to do to get sound in the club!

If you do an XY, the mics will probably be in the way. I'd just do, and have done a spaced pair near the walls pointed in. It doesn't sound marvelous, but I like it because it captured the essence of the show, all the people, all the jokes, all the fun. Something to think about. If you want the environment captured as well as the show, set up some condencers, if not, beg to go off the board.

Carter said:
Are you telling me that the club owners wont let you tap off the FOH for your recording and you are the band? if so I would tell them to kiss my ass and go find another gig! what you want to do will not get in the way with what they have to do to get sound in the club!
Most of the time, the club rents the PA. The club has nothing to do with it, it's the guy who runs the PA that might have a problem with it.

Half the PA's in this area have some Mackie POS that doesn't have direct outs anyway.

Be carefull if you are taking direct out of the console that they are pre gain and eq. I used to tap off consoles, off each channel, and get shit recordings to try and mix because the FOH guy had no clue of gain structure or eq. A splitter snake is your best option but they are expensive. Crest has a nice small console that has splitter outs under the console, pre everything. I would do a bit of research on the board the club has if that is possible to know its capibilities, dont trust the sound guy.

The few places around here with boards that have direct outputs, the direct outs are post everything. Even when I'm running the sound as well as recording, it's still a pain in the ass to mix because I have to fight against the ever changing live mix. Everything always sounds thin.

It will also help if you know where the cross-over points on the PA are. That will give you a clue where your low end went.

Farview said:
The few places around here with boards that have direct outputs, the direct outs are post everything. Even when I'm running the sound as well as recording, it's still a pain in the ass to mix because I have to fight against the ever changing live mix. Everything always sounds thin.

It will also help if you know where the cross-over points on the PA are. That will give you a clue where your low end went.
I've gotten where for live I use my mobile rack with a second Alesis HD 24, 3 Focusrite Octopres and a 150' Whirlwind splitter snake. Makes life a lot eaiser. Of course the next battle is the mics. Live sound guys have at times for me had some very odd choices for mics and "micing technics"

thickfreakness said:

If your website's anything to go by, you're quite a raw sound (no keys, little or no backing vox, veiled drum sound - sounds OK though!), and if there are only two of you (as appears to be the case), I'd go with a portable setup using a small 8-track and use splitters and DI's.

Here's a nice looking machine for your purpose, since it has 8 XLR inputs: http://cachemi.zzounds.com/media/qu..._oblique-4ebab11c4ac45a80c63b84c6e15b9c57.jpg

Assuming you always play in the same position on stage, make up specific cables for each purpose, i.e., of exact lengths to mazimize portability. Shorter cables don't get tangled so easily, and are quickly set up and packed away.

You'll need a simple splitter, like an ART or something, to run your vocal to the recorder without interrupting the feed to the venue mixer. A DI box for the bass - Sansamp BassDriver is a bit pricey, but an excellent tool for direct recording. Throw a venue mic up in front of your guitar cab.

An interesting alternative, which could yield stellar results would be to simply direct record the guitar and bass to the recorder and 're-amp' them later. This would give you perfect isolation and with a bit of time on your hands could sound just excellent.

Drums, you could just throw up two or three venue mics (even if they are SM58s). Again, your sound doesn't demand a multi-mic'd kit.

Anything would be better than audience mics, and while the above may be a bit more complicated to begin with, once you get the hang of it, you'll be on your way to having a backlog of pretty decent, even excellent live recordings.

With the fairly minimalist arrangements, the above scenario would work, I think.

The other thing to consider is that if, as you say, you're planning to release a CD, you'll need a decent enough recording to justify putting a price tag on it, but every CD sold goes into paying back for the recording equipment you invested in.

I'm working on some live recording for a band here in town, great friends of mine actually. One of the clubs they play has an Allen and Heath wiz mix 16 channel board in their house system, little compact thing but rather useful. It has direct outs on each channel that are apparently pre fader, because when I hooked my HD-24 to them, the fader moves I made running live FOH didn't affect the recording level. I actually got some clean and musical sounding tracks from the gig. Can't wait to go back and do it again.

gtrman_66 said:
I'm working on some live recording for a band here in town, great friends of mine actually. One of the clubs they play has an Allen and Heath wiz mix 16 channel board in their house system, little compact thing but rather useful. It has direct outs on each channel that are apparently pre fader, because when I hooked my HD-24 to them, the fader moves I made running live FOH didn't affect the recording level. I actually got some clean and musical sounding tracks from the gig. Can't wait to go back and do it again.

They are, and they are internally selectable to be pre-EQ. I used to run a 16 channel A&H into my HD24 :)

Back