Recording Combo Organ

OrganMiscreant

OK, I asked about this in a related thread, but since that was more about modern keys, I didn't really get as much info as I'd like, so...

I've got a bunch of vintage combo organs from the 60s and 70s. (Think Vox, Farfisa, and assorted other brands.) I love these things. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any general tips for recording them. Or, for that matter, any absolute DON'T DOs.

Should I just stick to putting a mic in front of my amp and finding a good placement? Should I consider trying the Line Out from one of my keyboard amps? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ssscientist said:
My recommendation would be to mic an amp - if you've got one that you like the sound of.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been experimenting with that and have had fairly decent results. I just wondered if anyone had any special thoughts on it. Anything special they do.

It'll be more fun when I try recording my Gibson G201 (see info towards the bottom of the page at http://www.combo-organ.com/Gibson/gibson.htm) The G201 comes with its own amp (which you *must* use unless you mod the heck out of the thing) which has a 12" speaker facing forward and a 10" horn pointing out the side. Do I mic them both? Do I put one mic somewhere in a diagonal direction? Do I mic them both, then assign both inputs to one track or two different ones?

Providing you have sufficient volume, simply find a spot in the room where it sounds good and place the mic there. Closer the amp may not necessarily be better. Sometimes you get a less strident sound with some distance between mic and amp.

lumbago said:
Providing you have sufficient volume, simply find a spot in the room where it sounds good and place the mic there. Closer the amp may not necessarily be better. Sometimes you get a less strident sound with some distance between mic and amp.

Thanks! I appreciate that. And the amp that goes with the G201 gets much louder than I'd've ever thought just looking at it.

Quite an interesting set-up the G201 has: The organ doesn't have a power cord, or even an output jack. The amp doesn't have an on switch or a place to plug your instrument in. Neither the organ NOR the amp has a volume knob. I know, you're saying, "HUH?"

Well, see, the amp connects to the organ via one of those old garden hose type things with lotsa pins (stored in the back of the amp.) A smaller garden hose type thing connects the organ to a volume pedal. That volume pedal is your sole means of controlling the volume. Oh, and the On switch on the organ is what turns the whole contraption on. So, basically, if you don't have the amp and the volume pedal, that organ isn't doing you much good... Unless you figure a way to get the thing some power.

Back