Recording Books

Enigma

Can anyone give some examples of some good guides to learning the ins and outs of recording?

Something along the lines of "Home Recording for Dummies" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Home Recording" would be nice. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Yo Chris:

I don't think you need too many books if you read all the stuff that is available on this site. Tons of information. You just need to click into a Dragon demo or others who work as professionals to learn from them.

But, to begin, turn on your recorder, plug in a mic, lay down some chords, add the bass line, which all fits in with the previously recorded drum track, and sing. Then, start to learn to mix it down so it sounds good to your ears.

The Green Hornet

Well, I agree that the is a lot of good, useful info here. I've already learned quite a bit. But most of it is geared towards more advanced topics, or more towards specific topics.

I guess what I was getting at were books on how to properly hook things up, what AUX SEND/RETURN/POST mean, is a guitar cable the same cable you would use to go from an effect unit to a mixer, etc...

When I first got involved in purchasing and setting things up for my little project studio, I thought, "Ok, no problem. Piece of cake. If I can tear a computer apart and put it back together, I can certainly do this!" But after I really started getting involved, I do more of scratching my head and saying, "Holy s$!&" than I do recording! :eek:

Chris

Cheaper than the above, but written for the audio engineer rather than the home recordist (but still worth the price of admission): "Practical Recording Techniques" - Bruce and Jenny Bartlett.

Tell you what - if you're recording with your computer, there aren't a lot of books that have been written yet about this, because it's all so new.

Well, I'm sure either (set of) book(s) would help me tremendously. My knowledge of recording is still very basic. Like I said above, what I need help with right now is the basic stuff, like what AUX SEND/RETURN/POST mean, is a guitar cable the same cable I would use to go from an effect unit to a mixer, etc, etc...

I'll continue to keep looking here for answers, but wow... there's a lot of info here to go through! :)

Thanks,

Chris

I found these to be useful from a beginner's perspective:

Digital Home Recording - Tips, Techniques, and Tools for Home Studio Production
edited by Carolyn Keating and Craig Anderton
Miller Freeman Books, 1998

This is a fairly recent book that is a collection of material that appeared in magazines like Electronic Musician, Recording, Mix, Keyboard, Guitar Player, etc. Pretty good overview of what's what.

Hot Tips for the Home Recording Studio
by Hank Linderman, Writer's Digest Books, 1994

The latter is a bit dated as far as a DAW perspective but covers the basic principles of getting a good sound and mixing very well.

-AlChuck

[This message has been edited by AlChuck (edited 07-07-2000).]

AlChuck,

Working with PC hardware as long as I have, the DAW side of things came pretty quickly to me. So if these books teach the basics (and even some of the more advanced stuff when I'm ready for it), they are exactly what I need.

Thank you very much for the info!

Chris

Back