recording bluegrass

ronsmith

I want to know how to set up to record a 4 or 5 piece bluegrass band with all acoustic instruments? What would the micing be say vocals with music versus music alone? :confused:

You can mic everything individually..........

Or not.

A lot of bands are going to a one-or-two LDC mic stage setup.

I guess it depends how "live" you want your takes to feel.

Lots of dynamic mics - 57's and such for banjos (and long cables so you can put the banjo in the garage :D Sorry - Banjo joke), percussion, etc.

Condensers on the vocals & guitars, as little EQ'ing as possible... The usual.

Bluegrass almost tends to "mix itself" except for the vocals, so tell everyone individually to peak it a bit so you can get a good level, set it, and just let it happen.

i agree....i recorded a bluegrass band once at a open mic night...i think i was graced with people that knew what they were doing however everyone had a dynamic mic...(shure 57s) and it came out great. bluegrass is one of those generes that tends to stay underground so the "perfect pop" mix doesnt do them justice.....thats a case of people respect flaws. bluegrass is one of the genres where people want to really hear it like they heard it on stage.

I personally dont like dynamics on bluegrass instruments. Use a ribbon mic on the fiddle and make sure it is isolated enough to keep bleeding to a minimum, use Shure KSM44s for the mandolin and banjo, a good small dipahram condenser on the guitar (watch for the typical Martin guitar boom) and try everything on the bass and vocals.

Another common thing to do is isolate the lead singer and their instrument, having the band play along. Then overdub the harmony vocals.

Use good quality pres on the instruments, very clean and in the ribbons case, high gain. My preference is John Hardys.

Why not try it like the masters did it?

One RCA 44 (or AEA R44). Take some time to position everyone to balance. Soloists step up when it's their turn.

Or, if you want stereo, try a Blumlein configuration (two coincident bidirectionals at right angles).

While many pro Bluegrass bands perform with one or two large diaphram condensers, almost none record this way. Ricky Scaggs did it on the Bluegrass Rules CD, but hasn't done it since. I think the artists and producers probably want more contol than the single mic allows.

Also, if the band is not top notch, you would probably like the opportunity to fix some spots.

It is my personal belief that many bands play live with two mics for 1) it gives more movement on stage, which many feel is more interesting to watch and 2) it takes the bad PA operator out of the loop ("just set it and leave it!!"). Having played Bluegrass for years, there are SO many sound people who have no clue about live acoustic music sound.

Back