Recording Bass

Mad Saturday

hey everyone! I'm wondering what the best way to record a bass guitar is. What is a DI box and do I need one? I've got a classic fender Jazz bass, an SWR head, and a MEsa Cabinet.

Thanks!

Best, as in most convenient, way is in my opinion using a DI box or the DI on your bass amp (I presume you have one?). If you have a DI output mounted on your amp (you know, three small plugs, like microphone cables), use that and you don't need a DI box, and you can at the same time use the EQ section on your amp if you want to.

HTH

Many engineers prefer to record bass direct (right into the board). This gives a clean tight signal - and you don't have to worry about placing a mic in front of a bass cab.

A DI box converts the signal from the 1/4" jack (guitar cable) to the XLR (3-pin) connector you find on most mic cables. Some bass amps actually have and XLR output, which eliminates the need for a DI box. And some boards can accept the 1/4" with a gain control which also eliminates the need for a DI box.

Many people like to record thru a Sansamp. There are also various amp simulators (such as the POD for bass) which allow direct recording while still creating an amped effect.

As Oysterman said, the most conveniant is the direct route.

Use both use a mic and use a DI and record them to separate tracks, so later while micing you can choose not to use either one or mix them together.

Keijo

Back