recording bass

theshaggyfreak

Lately I've been having some issues with recording bass. I seem to have a problem figuring out how to dial in EQ and compression so that certain notes being played don't stick out like a sore thumb. The track will mix in nicely, but when the bass guitar hits a cretain note...YUCK...it sounds really ugly. Can anyone offer some info that I could try out? Thanks!

Massive Master said:
Trial and error, my friend.

Brand spankin' new strings also tend to minimize this a bit...

Got a 31-band graphic lying around perhaps?

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Yeah, I think I just need to keep plugging away until I figure things out. Yeah, I'm a big fan of new strings...the ones I'm using are pretty new.

If you can't retrack it, then try multiband compression or sidechaining an eq to a compressor. Dial it in to compress just the offending note.

grinder said:
If you can't retrack it, then try multiband compression or sidechaining an eq to a compressor. Dial it in to compress just the offending note.

Oh, I can most certainly retrack it since I am the bass player after all (and every other instrument) :)

I did some research on the web for dialing in settings for EQ and Compressor on bass. I'll have to see how that goes.

Shag,

> when the bass guitar hits a cretain note...YUCK...it sounds really ugly. <

There's a good chance that's caused by your room. Play the same track on headphones and let us know if you still have that problem.

--Ethan

Well.... First of all it's a good thing to know if you record it direct or if you're miking an amp.

If it is the bass that resonating at a certain note, trying a different bass may even be a better option. The quality of the instruments count too.

Ever tried going direct?

Sounds like you're micing a cabinet - right?

Have you tryed going direct, through a tube mic preamp? I've recorded some really great-sounding and prominent Fender Precision and Jazz tracks using an ART Tube MP mic preamp as a direct box. One thing for sure when you go direct; you're not at the mercy of the freqency response curve of the mic, or the speaker, or the influence of the size and shape of the room, or the phase issues caused by room reflections, and on and on. Try it - you might like it! ;)

I'm actually a big fan or recording direct and mic'ing a cabinet to another track, compressing the snot out of the cab track (assuming it's quiet enough) and mixing it in with the direct track.

If you've got enough open channels, of course...

JS

Back