Recording bass....stuff...

Lee123

I'm a guitarist so please excuse my bassless knowledge......

Whenever I record a bass track, I use a Bass Pod directly into the soundcard. The sound is ok, bit I would like to combine that sound with a bass amp/cab/combo, but as with most people....not much money to play with.
Have any of you had good results with a cheap/cheaper bass rig? if so, what was your amp/setup...?
Thanks
Lee.

Nobody else seems to be addressing your question, so I'll take a stab at it. It sounds like you are considering dropping some money on an entire bass rig to improve your recorded bass tone, but you're limited to small, cheap bass amps due to budgetary restrictions. I really can't recommend that, dude.

In the first place, if you buy a GOOD bass amp, and mic it, it will sound good, assuming that you have mics that can capture the sound properly AND you have sufficient skill to know how to use the mics. But if you buy a cheap, crappy sounding bass amp (which is what you're going to end up with on a very small budget), then you're going to get a cheap, crappy tone when you record it.

Furthermore, mic'd up bass rigs aren't really used for recording all that often these days, from what I understand. About the only time that experienced recording engineers even bother to mic up an actual bass cabinet is when they have a good sounding bass rig to use (to start with), and even then, they tend to mix it in with a direct sound -- and most of the sound comes from the direct feed -- the mic on the bass amp is just mixed in to give you some of the "flavor" of the bass amp. Many excellent sounding bass tracks these days are recorded exclusively with some type of preamp (or high-end DI) sent direct into the recording desk.

I have about a half-dozen or so bass amps and preamps that I can use to record direct with, bypassing the amp and speakers entirely. While I'm still in the process of getting my home recording rig set up, and haven't actually recorded anything yet, I anticipate that almost ALL of my bass recording will use these preamps plugged direct into the inputs of my Presonus Firepod. I could hook up speaker cabinets and mic them (I've certainly got those, too), but I probably won't do much of that. Two of my bass rigs are able to emulate other amps (the Boss GT-6B and the SansAmp PSA-1), much like your BassPod. While I'm not specifically familiar with the BassPod, I should think that you should be able to get a perfectly suitable sound out of that thing.

My recommendation, therefore, is to save your money and spend more time getting a good bass sound out of your BassPod. I'm almost certain that the sounds are in there. If you're not able to get good sounds out of that unit, then the problem is probably something else, other than the preamp. Do you have a quality 'verb unit that can give you a credible room sound? Have you tried double tracking the bass to give a "bigger" sound? Maybe you just need a compressor that sounds better on bass. (I don't think I've EVER recorded bass without using a compressor of some type. Some sound better on bass than others.) Probably the most likely candidate, if your bass tone isn't working for you, is the bass, itself. Maybe you need a better bass? But I certainly wouldn't recommend buying an el cheapo bass amp just to use for recording.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Brad

Hey Lee. You may be aware of this, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyways. Here is a sentence from the manual-

"Cabinet Tuning Mode- The Amp/Direct switch allows POD to be optimized for different applications. Select Direct when running POD directly into a mixer or recorder. Select Amp when using POD as a tone-shaping front end for another amp. ."

This switch is on the top left corner of the POD. For running straight into your soundcard, make sure the switch is in the 'direct' position.

I have to agree with bassman. I've played bass for about 20 years now (mostly upright, but electric too) and only once in a recording session did we take a mic'd signal for the electric bass - and that was in a very high-end studio (I think it was an RE20 into an API Legacy console). The POD should work, though it may be noisy. Otherwise, use a good bass head and take the line out of that.

Bassman Brad said:
I have about a half-dozen or so bass amps and preamps that I can use to record direct with, bypassing the amp and speakers entirely.

It may be worth noting, if you go this route, be careful about bypassing the speakers on a tube amp because the absence of load could damage it.

A lot of bass is recorded direct with just a DI box. That's how I did my stuff.

from what I been reading in "behind The Glass," most prods/engineers DI bass and mic the cab b/c they have the spare track, but they use mostly the DI sig. I used to try to mic my cab, but it didn't work that well. I use my cheap tube pres now and I had one good comment on it from someone somewhere onthe web a while ago, I can't remember what song or what site or anything.

BTW, all of my (plugged-in) sample tracks have bass DI w/ cheap tube mic preamps, if you want to listen to them....

Wow....now that's an eye opener....
I have recorded bands in the past where I would split the bass signal and mic up their bass cab with two mics (D6 up close and then an KSM32 4' back or so) and then DI through the BassPod. Sounded great. But, I have a cheap Bass and no amp.

I think after all your input, I will look into a better bass guitar and go DI for our records.

thanks again for all your help.
Lee.

What bass are you recording with? That might be $$ better spent, if it is a not so great bass. Also, a very quality DI could do wonders.

I still prefer the direct sound I get with a semihollow godin fretless with flats through a groove tubes tube DI (Ditto Box) than the amped sound of my tube '68 bassman head.

I don't have experience with the bass pod - I would think you could get a decent sound out of it, but it has way more options then i would need. A sansamp is also well recommended, depending on the sound you are looking for.

The bass I have is a Yamaha. It's pretty much brand new. Cost me about $180. Not sure of the model (I'm at work at the minute)....

How old are the strings? Maybe a fresh set would liven it up, and a good setup by a reputable tech would help the playability.

remember also that your Bass Pod has two outs. One is for a "DI" signal that is mostly clean and without effects or modeling. The other is with modeling. In fact, look at the top/back of our BOD and you will see outs labeled:

"DI out" and "modeling out"

play with that and you'll get some good results.

Also, as other have said, the bass you are playing makes a difference. Also, your bass may not be set up properly. Having a good luthier give your instrument a once-over can improve tone.

Last edited:
All I ever use for bass recording is an Art TubePac. I take it everywhere with me cause it is my favorite bass tool at any level and any price. I have a small 2 rackspace bag for my laptop that goes everywhere I work and it has only 3 pieces of gear in it, and that's one of them.

For a bass, I have to HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Musicman SUB basses. You can find them for just over $400 used, and they are US made and have every bit of the awesome MM sound in them. Just have fewer nice finishing touches than the Stingray.

H2H

hohner 5 string b-bass satin finish w/active elec. for under $500. combine with a behringer bass head, and you've got a great sound to run direct or with a cab.

Hard2Hear said:
For a bass, I have to HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Musicman SUB basses. You can find them for just over $400 used, and they are US made and have every bit of the awesome MM sound in them.

I agree that the SUB's are very nice basses for the money and offer excellent "bang for the buck." I'll tell you, though, the bass that offers the maximum bang for the buck these days would probably be Peavey. All of their lines from the very cheapest to the very best all compete very strongly against other basses in their respective price ranges. Honestly, I never thought I'd ever hear myself say something like that, either. I can remember the days when "Peavey" was just another way of saying "sounds like crap." And their bass gear was particularly bad sounding - even by Peavey standards! But, I've got to give credit where credit is due. They've steadily improved the quality of their offerings while keeping the prices very competitive. And they've now reached the point where they are probably the value leader in several categories.

In all fairness to Lee, the Yamaha that he is playing probably isn't all that bad as an entry level bass. I know lots of people who play Yamaha basses and like them. But, based upon the few that I've played, I have a hunch that these basses would sound O.K. mixed in with a live band, but probably wouldn't record particularly well.

Brad

Back