recording bass guitar

Bass ---> DI ---> Done. :)

The right DI can make a difference...though IMHO...you gotta work hard to f*ck up bass sounds...with most any DI setup. :D
The FET-type DI boxes seem to excel at bass guitar recording.
I was using the built-in DI on one of my older preamps for a long time now, which is a FET circuit...but this week I tried the built-in DI on my Langevin DVC which I recently acquired, and I think the DVC is going to be the new go-to DI for bass. It really adds some nice texture to the sound, and it sound more like a bass going through a big, open speaker cab...than a real speaker cab!
Plus, I like the fact that my DVC has built-in EQ and also there's the built-in ELOP limiter...so it's going to be a real sweet tone-shaping machine.

But hey...you don't need an expensive box like the DVC. I've taken a simple standalone DI box, and it gave me darn good bass sounds. I tried a Groove Tubes DI a few weeks back, and it was sweet sounding. I could work with that just as easily...and you can get them for like $40.

This has always been my set up with some Ampeg SVX sprinkled on top. Otherwise a decent large diaphragm condenser or dynamic should be good on a bass cab.

A good sounding bass and amp will make the best bass recording.

I like to go straight from the direct out on my bass amp into the computer. I also try my Audix D4 or homemade subkick on the cab if it sounds right.

I usually use an SM57 and mic it near the cone to get the tone and definition. Afterward I'll EQ a DI track to get the lower end and blend it to taste with the mic'd track. If I'm looking for a specific tone that i don't have available, I'll just use a sim on the DI track. (Ampeg SVT is my favorite)

Back