Recording Bass Guitar

chace

hey what is a good mic for micing up bass for recording. what is a good technique for recording bass do you mic up or line out to D/I any help will be apreciated I also do live stuff what is a good mic for live playing want to mike up trace elliot box to mackie P.A do I need something with high spl dont mind paying for a good mic. heard avalon have a good D/I that bass players love

Thanks

Perhaps a good kick drum mic? An AKG D112E?? Not sure about this. Haven't seen many "live" performers using a mic. on a bass. I think you could definitely have feedback issues,depending on PA. volume. I've found that in live situations a good "DI" usually works well. I've used a combination of "DI" and mic for recording with good results.

A lot of people swear by SansAmp, but I agree with Cuzme. Avalon U5 is really superior to just about everything else. The only time I ever use a mic is on 10" speakers (i.e. SWR Super Redhead or G-K Backlines), but even then the majority of the signal still comes from the DI. Only use the mic'd signal to fill out the upper-end. My fav would have to be the Audix D4.

For live i def either just use my amp for small places....or my bass amp has a XLR output to a PA that i use a direct line in. For recording I find I can record using the line out on the amp as well.

I agree that the sans amp bass driver will get you excellent bass in a studio or live situaion. when i play live i dont even use a amp.

I also think that certain cab and amp combinations will produce a great miced sound that would blow the sansamp/like item away, but in general, i would say the sans amp or like items would make it the easiest for you in either situation to instantly get a great sound with little or no EQing.

so i guess if i re-read my opinion, Im on the fence line depending on what amp/cab your working with. I just like walking in and setting up in like 5 minutes, and carrying one case with all my stuff in it.

yep

Back