Recording bass for best results!!

Balshazza

Is it better to record bass directly into your computer, or to put it through an effects processor first.

"Depends what sort of sound you want" you might say!!

well i am looking for a specific sound, like that of the 'Reel Big Fish' bassist, BUT, id just like your opinions!

thank you

peace

Balshazza

People have been recording basses straight into the console for ages. Best is to record 'dry' and if needed apply any FX, compression, reverb :D or whatever afterwards.

A DI box could do wonders to if you haven't got a special Hi-Z guitar input (you could go without -I do-, but I guess most people recommend a DI)

Herwig

Hi DeadPoet!! a new belgian on the board Welcome!! You're the third one I think, there's me and Roel otherwise.

About recording bass, there are masses of threads about it, but I often heared, and experience good things about combining a miked signal with a DI one.

bass has harmonics that can be unknowing filtered by running the output thru electronic devices that aren`t totally transparent or, thru the air by miking. I`ve done, seen, and heard bass direct in the console forever, then play with effects on the the copy as needed. Even miking is cool if its ran in a mix with the pure so all the nuances of the timbre are captured. Muddy bass is cool too for some things but I like to hear all the tones. Even an upright acoustic has beautiful harmonics that can get lost by the time it hits tape or disk if not handled carefully.

Toki987 said:
bass has harmonics that can be unknowing filtered by running the output thru electronic devices that aren`t totally transparent or, thru the air by miking.
Through miking you always lose/mask/attenuate/... frequencies, to lose freqs with electronics, I figure you'd had to have some *really* bad electronics..

I`ve done, seen, and heard bass direct in the console forever, then play with effects on the the copy as needed. Even miking is cool if its ran in a mix with the pure so all the nuances of the timbre are captured. Muddy bass is cool too for some things but I like to hear all the tones. Even an upright acoustic has beautiful harmonics that can get lost by the time it hits tape or disk if not handled carefully.
Same opinion here; I just bought a higher-priced instrument because of the overtones it produces and the articulation you can get of it. Please don't give me an generic bass with dead strings through a boomy amp. In the end the cutting through the mix of the bass is *because* of all the harmonics present in your signal.

Herwig

BrettB : yep, actually I'm monitoring the board for quite some time now, but only started to write now. First listen, then speak :D

Balshazza waddayamean we can't speak english ? You want us to speak dutch or do you mean our english is that poor ?? :p

Herwig

Herwig Duchateau, he used to be the drummer from Scooter and now he does some PA and small recording stuff.

Deadpoet: what i mean is, that you shouldnt be able to speak english coz your from dutchland!!
im just messin with you.

thnks for the opinions guys.

how do i tweak the sounds though?

because it just sounds boring if i leave it untouched.

peace

balshazza

I've been playing bass for 10 years now and all I can add is that what I noticed is that a tone that doesn't sound that good when played solo might just blend wonderfully in the whole mix.

I usually record directly with some (Joemeek) compression for a bit of extra punch. The best thing would of course be to add compression during mixing but I just don't have the routing possibilities at home.

En Belgen zijn tof. Belgische meisjes nog meer.

I agree to what Christiaan says, but as always that ain't no general rule.

You should know how many recordings exist where having the bass player soundcheck took about 30 seconds, the time needed to take the bass, tune it and plug it in the board. Not to talk about all those dead strings around...

christiaan: ...en nu ben ik verondersteld te schrijven dat nederlanders ook wel toffe peren zijn zeker ..:D

Herwig

DeadPoet said:

Through miking you always lose/mask/attenuate/... frequencies, to lose freqs with electronics, I figure you'd had to have some *really* bad electronics..

Same opinion here; I just bought a higher-priced instrument because of the overtones it produces and the articulation you can get of it. Please don't give me an generic bass with dead strings through a boomy amp. In the end the cutting through the mix of the bass is *because* of all the harmonics present in your signal.

Herwig

I agree with you there. I`ve played thru some horrid outboard devices, and some that were a real turn on. The purest however, was always direct..
I have played bass thru most every type of device thats been made for electric bass since 1966. There has been some real technological milestones layed down since then. However getting from the vibration of the string and its ambience in the wood of the bass thru 1st, the pickups (analog) ... which often have been mistaken for the real sound, the onboard routing, the nondigital potentiometers, cabling, switching, preamping (often thru nondigital pot's as well), switching, cabling, switching, A/D conversion, sampling.... all of this wellllllll before hearing a damn thing reproduced, in milliseconds. In spite of "real" transparency, there are many events that transpire where a signal can be degraded in harmonic content. These variations in harmonic content at different points along the signal path are what give different basses their "signature" sounds. Same applies to FX devices. I can hear a difference between Alesis, Yamaha, Eventide Clockworks, or other outboard FX. I support recording clean and as direct as possible with the least points in the signal path as possible. Once the bass is sampled from its "real voice" into the digital realm, FX can be applied with transparency quite undetectable to the ear and all the content of the voice is there. Even cloning the data and routing it thru a DFX and merging is cool, and there is no degradation unless its mixed where the "fx'd" data masks content of the original voice.
Bass is, like any other instrument, filled with sonic qualities that are often overlooked when being recorded due to it not sonically being considered to have much content in its voice. This is not usually a result of bad ears or neglect by the engineer, its more from not being a highlighted study as other instruments that are dominant in the upper harmonic ranges.
Damn... does that make sense? hehehehe It was fun writing it anyways..

DeadPoet said:
christiaan: ...en nu ben ik verondersteld te schrijven dat nederlanders ook wel toffe peren zijn zeker ..:D

Herwig

Ah nee hoor. Ik zat eigenlijk specifiek te denken aan een meisje uit Geel dat ik ken. Erg lief :)

Back