Recording and EQ

Drakaland

Apologies if this question was covered another threads. I'm trying to grasp a little more solid knowledge about using EQ.

I'm currently using Reaper and the RealEQ vst. I've read a number of tips on EQ but I wanted to make sure I'm on the right page on some points.

When someone mentions to cut, or scoop certain frequencies, is this shelving? If not what exactly does this mean?

When it's mentioned to boost to a certain frequency, does this mean using a band and bringing it up to a specifed number? Such as "kick drum, boost at 80hz?"

I also read a tip with regards to adding EQ to your tracks, which states: "Low cut everything as high as you can get away with (sometimes up to 500Hz or more), except kick and bass which you should also low cut, but only to around 30-40Hz."

Would this be on top of adding eq to individual tracks? I know EQing can be very subjective so perhaps it's up to my own ears and this is a silly question. Just looking for a place to start.

Apologies again if these questions seem far too elementary.

I'm currently using Reaper and the RealEQ vst.

Do you mean ReaEQ (that comes with Reaper)? I've never heard of RealEQ, unless this is what you mean. :confused:

http://pm123.ptv.ru/pm123/src/plug-ins/realeq/

When someone mentions to cut, or scoop certain frequencies, is this shelving? If not what exactly does this mean?

Cut means to decrease the volume of certain frequencies. Boost is the opposite.

"Scooping" usually is another term for cutting. Usually just a normal band EQ and looks like a "U".

When it's mentioned to boost to a certain frequency, does this mean using a band and bringing it up to a specifed number? Such as "kick drum, boost at 80hz?"

Yes.

I also read a tip with regards to adding EQ to your tracks, which states: "Low cut everything as high as you can get away with (sometimes up to 500Hz or more), except kick and bass which you should also low cut, but only to around 30-40Hz."

"Low cut everything as high as you can get away with" doesn't sound like very good advice to me. I usually low-cut (or "high-pass") everything 20Hz and lower. This helps get rid of "rumble" which is felt more than it is heard. Also, on some really crappy speakers, it can cause what sounds like distortion.

Would this be on top of adding eq to individual tracks? I know EQing can be very subjective so perhaps it's up to my own ears and this is a silly question. Just looking for a place to start.

Apologies again if these questions seem far too elementary.

Only EQ when you hear something needs it. If nothing sticks out to you then don't even reach for it. It's critical to get things right at the tracking stage. But in a dense mix, you will inevitably end up having to EQ something to make room.

Always focus on the main part of the song (vocals?). And work with the other tracks based off of that. Also, try and get things sounding good with just panning and levels. You'd be surprised how far that can go.

Simple answer, no.

cut means to attenuate, or lower the volume. Opposite of Boost.

Scoop is exactly what it sounds like. You're "scooping" a certain band of frequencies....kind of like a dip. Opposite of "peaking".

shelving is boosting/cutting above/below a certain frequency. Like you're at 0db from 20hz - 5khz, and +4 from 5khz - 20khz... It's a "shelf" (it would look like a stair step visually, although mostly less harsh)

Also, about cutting/boosting. Cut frequencies to make a track sound better. Boost to make them sound different. You can't boost what isn't there to begin with. You can only cut so much. It all comes from the source, remember that.

Two tracks shouldn't occupy the same band, as they will cause fatigue in the listener. If you cut lows on tracks that don't need it (i.e. guitar that has bass accompaniment etc.) you create "room" for the bass/kick to "breathe". Mud is an overabundance of the ~250hz - 500hz range (typical bass hype). Presence is attained by Sub-low frequencies (less than 50hz). A typical kick drum will sit between 80-100hz. Roll off the sub low freq to keep it from sounding boomy.

the biggest rule of all:

If it sounds good, it is good.....:D:D

Have fun, and welcome to HR!!!

I try to use EQ as sparingly as possible, mainly when I need to create a little room where things tend to slur together or sound muddy. Often a slight cut (scoop, dip, trim or whatever you prefer to call it) of the offending frequencies will work wonders to give seperate tracks more deffinition. If you boost a frequency on one track chances are that you will need to cut the same frequency on another track to avoid overdriving that frequency and getting a muddy sound. Try to get tracks to sound as good as possible to start with so you will not have to alter them to get them to sit in the mix. It is likely that you will need to make a few adjustments to your tracks, but the less you have to alter them, the better off you will be.

Thanks for the responses guys. It makes more sense now. I was fiddling last night andwas like a kid in the candy store. Gunna have to go back and rip out the eq pluggins and start again with fresh ears, but that's half the fun.

Danny, yes I meant ReaEQ. I think I'm used to seeing the word RealPlayer and I got lazy looking at the word. :D Cheers.

On a side, I registered Reaper yesterday as well. Feel much better by paying the fees. Those guys deserve it.

There are a lot of sites out there that give tips on eq, you just have to google them. It's good to know the frequency ranges of the instruments your using and the notes being played first, to have any idea how its going to sit in the mix, and where the frequencies will overlap. It all depends on what sound your going for, there are no rules, really. I found that you just have to experiment and see what you got. Sometimes muddy is good. Just my 2¢

Back