Recording already amped guitar

Miravsky

Hi guys. So I Have RP 150 Modeling Guitar Processor, its not very good but I think that the rock presets which are there are better than my Amplitube which I use after recording dry signal. So do you think that I should record already amped guitar signal from RP 150 and then apply eq, comp, gate etc in DAW ?

OK....so you mention a hardware modeling processor and Amplitube.....what do you mean by "already amped guitar signal"...?

Is there a guitar amp involved anywhere?

Also...try to get your tone going in....don't *plan* on applying EQ, comp, gate, etc in the DAW...unless any of it is actually needed.

amped

Already amped I mean that I Record Guitar With RP 150 For Example metal presets on it then I Have Audio File Not with dry guitar sound but with distortion, cabinet etc from RP 150.

In regards to your first question, it's all about the sound you are getting. It may be a good idea to use a splitter to record one sound dry and one with the processor. Then if one is horrible simply ditch it, but if you like both just bleed them in or pan them. It's always nice to be able to do nondestructive editing in your DAW so that your FX can be altered as you please.

In addition to Bane01's good advice, you could reconsider Amplitude: Apply it as a post effect along with comp and eq that you can monitor as you record in (so you can at least hear the result up front). You can then bounce the finished track to another track complete. You then disable the original track to save resources. During the mixdown you still have the option of redoing Amplitude again without re-tracking the guitar. Just a thought as I use Guitar Rig and work this way.

Spend a few hours finding the tone you want. Adjust the presets on the RP150, don't use the ones they give you.

I have the same modeler and it can sound good. The distortion presets really suck. You have to make your own. Typically when recording a heavily distorted guitar, you will want to use about half the distortion or gain than you would when playing live.

Once you've dialed in exactly what you like, retrack your guitar parts. Don't try to fix it with EQ or anything. Just do them over.

[Edit:] I just reread your post. Yes you should record your guitar through the modeler with distortion. Just so long as you have the tone you like. I do it all the time. If I find it doesn't sound exactly how I like during mixdown, then I'll redo the guitar part.... and this is coming from a guy who hates retracking stuff. But that doesn't happen often because I get the sound I want before hitting the big red button.

I rarely ever EQ my guitar tracks except to lop off the low end.

..."Once you've dialed in exactly what you like, retrack your guitar parts. Don't try to fix it with EQ or anything. Just do them over..."

So if I record guitar like that I dont use any eq and comp etc. after put samples into DAW ?

..."Once you've dialed in exactly what you like, retrack your guitar parts. Don't try to fix it with EQ or anything. Just do them over..."

So if I record guitar like that I dont use any eq and comp etc. after put samples into DAW ?

If it's heavily distorted, you won't need compression. I'll use compression on my clean guitars. I'll EQ the low end so it fits nicely with the bass.

You need to do what works with your mix, not what you think other people are doing.

In the end, you might need to use EQ and compression to get your guitar track to fit with the other tracks in your song. But you shouldn't use EQ and other process effects to achieve the tone of the guitar that you are looking for. You should be getting that tone from your modeler.

hope that helps.

I'm in a similar situation in that I use an amp modeler (POD HD) most of the time and plugin sims some of the time. I almost always get better results from the POD than say Guitar Rig 5. My general approach is to get the guitar tone as close to being finished on the way in as possible. If you have to go in after the fact and make radical eq changes to get the track to work then you need to go back and make changes to the patch you were using. With that being said, there are no "rules" so if you can get away with massive amounts of processing in the box after the fact and it works for you, then go for it.

I think a general answer for this thread would be to do whatever sounds best to you. :) If you ain't happy with something, try alternatives.

Back