Recording again after 6 years. My past and now samples please give advice

TaintedDb

Sorry for the short intro before the meat:

I grew up playing drums since 7. I was involved in many gigging bands and some studio work. Studio work always more satisfying. When I turned 21 I gave drumming up out of frustration of working with flakes. When I was 30 I bought a Les Paul and started to play and started to build my own home studio. I have been lurking off and on at this site for years. Thanks for all the advice you older guys. I built up my gear 6 years ago and recorded my first CD while learning to play guitar. When it was done, I wanted to give up forever, never play guitar or drums again. But I still had all that gear.
One of the songs off that CD for a place holder: Track 3 lazy Day
Give it a listen at least to the chorus if you click link please. Not mastered, I know better now thanks to this site. Also, it's only a low qual MP3 so keep that in mind...

6 years pass and I never go into the basement again and then I meet a guitar player at work. I mention my gear and he wants to come over. We hit it off and I write while he plays. I was not sure my stuff would even turn on anymore but I just plugged in a SM58 ONLY (guitar in the board, no DI) into my board and hit record and laid down this:
no editing, only a bit of verb for “me” which was a mistake. Don’t bust on my crappy verb lol I know it sucks, I have an outboard lex but this is not it. (board verb)
We went on to write 12 songs over the last 6 months. During that time I have been hooking things back up, relearning Samplitude, replacing and tuning everything. Now we add a bass player and drummer and rehearse the songs we wrote over the last 6 months. Now…. Recording time.

I know I have some decent gear but nothing like some of the pro guys here on this board but I have a few thoughts that I would like comments on: (this story could have been shorter but I was hoping that the detail would lend thoughtful comments from some of you guys rather than ridicule).

My board is a Mackie D8B
I have a focusrite preamp/compressor
Meumann M149/TLM103 yada yada

The D8B has applogie DA’s. Is it better to plug my real mics into the board for vocals or into my focusrite compressor and then into the D8B via XLR. Also, I have a Neumann M149 but I recorded those writing sessions with a SM58 and I actually think the vocal sounds nice (minus the verb, I have since muted and hear it that way now).

I can list all my gear if it helps in a discussion on how to best record vocals for the “band” project. The second recording posted was a writing session so please be kind.

Thanks
Tainted.

Tainted,
I just ran across your post, but can't listen till this evening.

It sounds like you are starting off with some very decent equipment.
Let me comment once I get home tonight on your recordding.
I just did not want your post to fall off the face of the planet without some input.

Back