Recording Acrylic Drums

SuaveRecords

Ninja kick the dam rabbit
Now ive been using acrylic drums for 3 years now and my drum recordings are sounding better and better as i learn more and more... but if i want the best sound i can get, do i REALLY need maple? or can i get it with my acrylic kit?

I've heard a lot of people say that maple is the way to go in the studio. unless you're looking for more attack, then maybe birch. i've always been told that acrylic kits don't really have a place in the studio. as if for some reason they just wont sound good on a recording. true?:confused:

I've heard your drum recordings. If they were done with acrylic drums, they sound great. People say a lot of shit because they read it somewhere, or heard some "expert" declare it.

If someone doesn't know how to tune drums, or puts the wrong heads for the sound they're after, or has no idea about mic placement and, most of all, plays like shit, all the Maple (or birch, or oak, or whatever) isn't going to save them. In a case like that, someone that does know how to get the best sound from their drums will sound better using press-wood.

My drums are thin-shelled fibre-glass (Tempest brand), and I'm very happy with the recordings I get, using only 2 overheads and a kik mic.

I wouldn't worry so mcuh about the wood as I would about the heads, tuning and mic placement. And, most importantly, the PLAYING.

Well it all depends on what kind of sound you are trying to capture. If you want your drums to sound like acrylic drums, I would probably use acrylic drums for recording :p. Really though, my acrylic snare is one of my favorites for recording. Just trust your ears.

It has been my experience that good heads (tuned well) are more important than the materal the shells are made of. Many may argue for the virtues of different materals or brands good heads make any drum sound better. The important thing is... Do you like the way your drums sound?

good points guys. the thing is yes i do like how my drums sound. but they don't sound 100% pro yet. and I'm sure they wont with out a great room a great pre and some rack gear, (and years of work) but I'm just making sure that I'm not striving for better sounds when i wont even be able to get them without maple.
thanks for the helpful words guys.

Just thought I'd add a little. My studio set of drums are maple, my son plays also, the drummer in his band has acrylic drums. I don't hear a lot of difference in the tones but the acrylic drums are a little bit quieter. The only major difference I hear is in the bass drum, the acrylic bass doesn't seem to have as much depth as the maple (this might be due to different heads as much as different shells.)

Back