recording acoustic rock

trdn1

i've been asked by two of my friends to record them. they play christian acoustic rock with falsetto vocals, 12 string acoustic, and acoustic bass. the bassist plays chords almost entirely. they have a great dynamic sound and i'm trying to get an idea of how to capture that. i have a shure 58, art mic pre ($99) and a nanocompressor, oh and i'm recording to pc using cool edit 2k.

the questions i have are: has anyone else out there recorded music like this? what eqip did you use, how much compression on each intrument, click track? what has been recorded that i can listen to, to get a feel for it, or at least a/b it? along with this, where should i start with reverb, echo, delay etc for the vocals? do i use a different kind of effect on each instrument? and finally eq, when i recorded my punk band we simply stole the 'rock' eq preset from winamp and laid that on top of everything, it worked well, but then i had to go back and compress the extreme low and high freqs until it sounded good.

aight, thats alot of q's but an answer to any of them would be great, thanks

As you have only one mike you'll have to do it as overdubs. Record the acc gtr first then overdub the bass, then vocals etc. The use of reverb/eq etc is up to you..whatever sounds good.
cheers
John

Back