Recording Acoustic guitars.....

The general consensus is to spend some money on a few more mic's. Maybe another AT4050? Stereo mic'ing with a pair of AT 4050's might be the ticket.
I just want to have nice full bodied sounding acoustic tracks with definition across all the frequencies.

Stereo micing a guitar isn't easy and you can run into phasing issues, so be sure your preamps can change polarity. One mic is all you need to achieve a full bodied and defined sound -- but placement is key.

Still, I'd get some more mics in any event -- perhaps the AT4050 as one for a stereo pair on other applications... Perhaps one really great mic on top!

The mic's I have to work with are the AT4050, a pair of MSH'1's and a couple of Shure SM57's.
FWIW, this is a newbie prospective. The Naiant MSH-1 is head and shoulders above any of the other mics I've tried (MXL603S, MXL2001, cheap Silvertone dynamic). The sound is a much better reproduction of the live sound, it's more 3 dimensional if that makes any sense. And the difference was noticable irregardless of whether the playback was through headphones, cheap speakers or real studio quality monitors. I've yet to set them up as a stereo pair but expect that will make a signifcant difference; especially with a grand piano.

The only preamps I've played with so far are the one's integrated into the Fostex MR16HD (not highly rated) and a Roland MMP-2 (supposedly pretty decent in it's day). To my untrained ear there is no difference in sound between the two preamps when using the Naiants. What I have noticed is that the mic's that sounded the worst seemed to benifit the most from better preamps. No idea if that's true in a general sense, only with the mic/amp combos I've tried or I'm just totally off base with that observation.

Back