Recording Acoustic Guitar/Vox

chapelhillbilly

Hey all,

i have a question about recording acoustic guitar and vocals. Initially, I was doing an acoustic guitar track and then going back and doing a vocal track after the fact. I just feel that the guitar sounds really contrived when doing this and I'm losing some of the "realness" of the vocals because of this.

Does anyone have any advice about how to record vocals and guitar at the same time and have it sound really good? I'm really new here so any info is appreciated!

Peace,
Don
www.donontheweb.com

Gtrs/Vocal

Hey Don -

Unfortunately, if you're looking to get a vocal and ac gtr tracked at the same time, you will have some vocal bleed and gtr bleed into each mic respectively.

Although you can limit the amount of bleed. Try using a tight cardioid, or hyper on the vocals and/or gtr.

Also mic positioning is a huge factor. I've done a few sessions where this was a problem, but finding the right placement on the vocals can limit a lot of gtr bleed.

I usually get the mic, and whatever pattern I'm using as close or pointed directly at the vocal, or singer. This will keep out a lot of gtr. Again using a tight cardioid pattern.

I have found though that afterwards, the smallest bit of gtr bleed into the vocal mic,,,,,,,,or vice versa,,,,,,,,,has added a very nice depth and color to the mix.

Basically, and I know you've heard this before, but,,,,experiment with as many techiniques and positions you can,,,,,,usually you'll find something that works.

Also tracking more gtrs and vox afterwards will give you the ability to blend cleanly tracked voices with the original performance,,,,,,which can really boost the quality and feel of your recording.

-Dano

If the artist wants to do acoustic and vocals at the same time I usually go fo one mic for all. No phase problems that way. Two figure 8 mics can be effective if you want a mic on each. Postion the guitar mic so the null (the point in the pick up pattern where off axis sound is rejected the most) is pointed at the singers head for maximum rejection of vocals in the guitar mic and the null of the vocal mic pointed at the guitar to keep it out of the vocals.

One good condenser aimed about mid way between the mouth of the singer and slighty to the right of the guitar sound hole should do good.]

Lee

LRosario said:
One good condenser aimed about mid way between the mouth of the singer and slighty to the right of the guitar sound hole should do good.]

Lee
Well, there you have it. Staight from the keyboard of a full sail graduate. Class of '93, no less!

Back