Recording Acoustic Gig

Rich b

Hi, I posted a thread a while back but didn't have much response. I'm going to record an acoustic gig which is going to consist of a singer (singing through the Pa) and acoustic guitar (not miked up).
I'll use two condenser mics with phantom power and record onto a digital 8 track.
I just wondered if anybody could give me some tips on the best way to place the mics?? should I just record from out front or mic the guitar and vocal? Someone has suggested the jecklin disc set up but i don't think this would be possible because of the audience.
I would be very grateful for any advice.
Thanks
Rich.

Why would anyone have the singer perform through a mic & PA yet leave the guitar unsupported?
If you want a "had to be there" live gig feel & sound mic if from the audience or somewhere up front.
If you want to capture the best perfromance possible you should get to the source at mic at the voice & at least one mic at the guitar.

What are your options here?
Is micing the guitar not an option? Are you going to use your mics in place of the pa mics?

I'd want to split the vocal and guitar mics (one side to pa, one to recorder, or a split off the pa mixer...? or you could double-mic them..) and maybe the condensors out front?
That's four but you have the inputs.

Your turn.

Wayne

If you're using a PA, then the guitar has to be in it or you will have a pretty jarring sound. There should be an SM57 or a small condenser on the guitar - point it at the 12th fret, at least, and hope for the best. See if you can get the singer to use a performer's stool and not be standing.

I'd do what the others have suggested - put both singer and guitar into the PA, pull a tap using the insert trick (plug into the track insert at the mixer only to first click so you tap off the mixer's preamp but do not mute the main signal) and each mic therefore gets a dedicated track. Then run one line from the FOH main mix into track three. Finally, set up one condenser (preferably omni and large diaphragm, but use whatever you have) some distance from the stage and tripping drunks to pick up ambient signal. This will be a good source of room sound, plus it's likely to be the only place you will hear audience participation, applause and so forth.

So - three mics, four tracks. Blend well and season to taste.

Back