recording a threesome...

bicycleracer

I just got a Martin with stereo Fishman elctronics. This got me thinking about how I could apply that for recording. If I were to use the electronics in stereo as well as using a good mic, how best could this be done effectively? what problems might I encounter. Will it be any better?

Cheers,
Racer

ChristopherDawn said:
This thread title is begging to be talked about.

I was going to say my usual technique is to hide the camera in a pile of laundry but I guess that's not what he's talking about.

When you say your Fishman is stereo are you talking about the Blender system? It's not really stereo but you have one signal from the piezo pickup and one from the internal mic. Just record them and play around. You could pan them hard right and left and stick the mic signal in the middle. All sorts of stuff.

If you are going for a realistic sound I would just stick with a regular mic. For pop/rock the pickup sound can be interesting and add a little beef to the signal.

I once recorded a threesome, as a matter of fact it was with spinsterwun, cellardwellar and Christopherdawn. Man those were the days, betamax was so much better than vhs . . . .

Yo biker! All jokes about moaning aside, the Fishman Prefix Plus is one of the coolest pickup systems available. Yes I know the little switch inside says "stereo/mono"", but of course, Tex is right.
Way back when I was just starting the nearly-complete CD, I needed to get some guide tracks out to the overdub staff in a hurry. I was having a devil of a time playing a couple of the songs without singing them, so I said "what the hell- I'll just track them with the guitar DI as scratch tracks, and record them with mics later."
I set the Fishman for "stereo" output, and used a send and receive cable to send the two signals to the two channels of a Joemeek twinQ. I set the notch control at about 10:00, frequency selector at 250hz, EQ flat. Both signals were compressed at 3:1, slope 3, attack 5ms, release 1.0 sec. bass cut on, EQ LF -2db, mid and high flat.
My conclusion- the mic alone is clear and has high end sheen, but lacks bass and presence- it sucks. The pickup has more bass and presence, with some notable distortion that makes it sound like something trying to be an electric guitar and failing- it sucks. But... when I used the mic track panned down the middle, and then started adding pickup, Holy shit!! I reached a point where it sounded like a mic'd up guitar. So good, in fact that although the rest of the tracks were finally recorded with mics, one of them was kept, because there simply was no need to re-track it.
I didn't use a mic then, but I suppose I could. After mixing and mastering, it sounds every bit as good as the other tracks that were mic'd up pretty. Who would've thunk? The mixed and mastered tracks are not posted up (and won't be), but I do have the raw tracks up on line. This is a house mix, mono, no panning, no reverb, EQ and compression as noted above, all from the Fishman itself, or the Joemeek. If you want to hear it, check the link below and listen to "Goody's Song". Although I made many mistakes recording "Reunion", after mixing and mastering, "Goody's Song" is the best example of acoustic guitar by DI I've ever heard. I guess if you give a monkey a typewriter, he's bound to spell a word.-Richie

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3239/album680

Richard and Tex,
I really appreciate you advice. I have been tweeking the dials and just having a great time with the different nuances. I would not have thought it would be that distinct but it is.
I switched to stereo and messed with that through two channels of my mixer then added a SM58 balanced a little more to the pick up...sweet! Three ways is niiiiice.
I will continue to tweek. Do I need to get a DI box?

Cheers,
Intergalactic cycling star of the Universe.

Usually you do want to use a DI box for the guitar pickup lines unless that preamp happens to put out a line level signal (which would be rare). My Fishman needs a DI.

If your mixer has high impedance inputs you don't need a DI. You can tell if you need a DI when the signal is a bit too hot and distorts easily.

Back