Recording a Talkbox

Shack

Hi, I have a Heil Talkbox which I want to use on a few tracks (for keyboards, not guitar). Anyone know if there is a way I can connect and record without using an amphead? Can I use a domestic amp for example, or a mixer? I am tempted to try but I have been warned that I could blow the Talbox or my amp. Basically I just wanted to know whether there were any studio recording techniques for a Talkbox that do not require the acquisition of an amp head? I have a little guitar amp but it has no speaker outs and I have a Tascam DM24 mixer, if that helps.

You could unplug the wires off the back of your speaker and attach them to a 1/4" speaker cord with one end removed and plug that into the talkbox. Just make sure the ohm ratings of the amp and talkbox are compatable.

Sorry, which speakers are you talking about, the guitar amp speaker? I don't quite understand please.

Like a studio monitor.

Understand how a talk box works and you'll understand how to deal with it.

Know those big "horn" things you see like on the top of churches? They have a big fiberglass bell on the end... well the business end of that is called a "compression driver". What you have with a talkbox is a "compression driver" with a hose on the end of it. This will function like any speaker.

If I remember correctly, the Heil is an 8 ohm load... so you can take any amplifier's 8 ohm output and connect it to the input of your talk box. Most folks use guitar amps for the distortion, but if you want it clean you can use any amp under the sun.

Make sense?

Thanks for that, I follow it now. When you say the 8 ohm output of my domestic amp, are you referring to any of the speaker outputs? If so how do you convert a standard 2 wire speaker output into an xlr for plugging into the input of the Talkbox? Sorry to ask all these questions.

1st, what kind of amp do you have?
2nd, the connectors from the amp to the speaker in the amp will be either clips, or soldered directly to the speaker. What you'll want to do is remove the wires to the speaker, and install a 1/4" female connector to the wires from the amp. You'll then add a 1/4" male connector to the speaker. Now you can use the output of your amp and plug a guitar cable from the amp to the Talkbox. If, instead you'd like to use the amp, then unplug the guitar cable, and plug in the speaker... That simple.

Now if your thinking, "I have no idea what he said, and I know nothing about even the simplest wiring.." then take your amp, throw it in the car. Print out this message. Drive to your local music shop. Ask them to do it, and they should charge you under $25.00.

Adios.

Haha. Not to worry I undertsand what you are saying. I am using a standard domestic amp to answer your question.

Hey, I live in London, these guys will spit on me if I offered them $25 with the £ to $ rate as it is at the moment.

Cheers

Not really... the cable discussed would probably be around 10-15 quid which would be well with in $25 USD with today's exchange rate. The whores on Denmark St. will do anything for a £, somebody down there would make the cable for you on the cheap.

It really ain't rocket surgery... your talkbox has a 1/4" TS [Tip-Sleeve] connection for the input... you take the speaker output of any amplifier wire the positive terminal [usually red] to the tip of a 1/4" TS connector and the negative terminal [usually black] to the sleeve of the 1/4" TS connector and you're good to go.

Mind the input impedance of the Talk Box and the output impedance of the amplifier and you're well on your way.

talkbox solution

I just made a talkbox, some of this might provide you with a solution: I bought a $30 horn from Radio Shack (I had to dissassemble to take the driver out of it), some 1/2" tubing, 1/4" connector, and a black project box to hold it all. Put it all together in less than five minutes.

A long while ago I had purchased one of those little SMOKEY AMPS for $15. It is in an empty carton of cigs (Marlboro Lights if you're curious). I think this thing is less than 2 watts out and it has an ext. speaker out that can drive a much larger speaker. I use my Johson J-Station as a preamp to really drive it and change tones. Of course this setup could easily be substituted with any suitable amp head. I just want to test drive it for awhile.

It works great and I'm not out a lot of money, or vintage product, if anything blows. Perfect for recording plus my 7 year son digs it.

Back