Recording a phone conversation???

AumStudioBrian

How would I go about recording a phone conversation? I've got a friend whom is recording in my studio and wants to record a conversation between herself and her grandmother as an intro to the song. Any ideas?

AumStudioBrian said:
How would I go about recording a phone conversation? I've got a friend whom is recording in my studio and wants to record a conversation between herself and her grandmother as an intro to the song. Any ideas?

If the grandma can come into the studio you could just record the nromal conversation, then cut everything above say 4000Hz and below 400Hz.

I believe telephones are optimized for 2400/2600hz - the rough frequency of a womans voice. So maybe if you cut those frequencies mentioned in 'cracked lids' post and boost 2400-2600 then you might get some cool results. Either that or microphone into phone extension.

sounds like he won't be able to get both grandma and friend in the studio at the same time. as far as that radio shack idea....according to their site it won't work with some electronic phones. which probably will include cell phones. can you use a landline with it? you could also put the grandma on speakerphone and record that while recording the friend on a separate mic and then doing the "phone EQ effect" that everyone else suggested.

Does he want both sides to sound like a phone? If so, the Radio Shack thing will work great for you.

But if you guys ever want to do something like an interview and you want a little better quality, try "Broadcast Host" by JK Audio. Lets you talk via a mic.

here is a crazy idea set up another phone like somone is listening in and stick a mic on it hit record walla yer done

doulos said:
here is a crazy idea set up another phone like somone is listening in and stick a mic on it hit record walla yer done

....and if it's feasible recording through a computer and all: Plug a telephone cord from a second jack into the phone input of the computer. If one exists-so- you have grandma at home talking to girl on phone jack #1- phone jack #2 goes into the computer, set the record controls properly and that should work. (I have a phone line out for internet and a line in) that should be the best solution.-(I think)

doulos said:
Not "walla yer done"...... have you ever lifted an extension while someone else is on the phone? It cuts the volumes levels down considerably, so no - that's NOT going work.

if you have a hardware answering machine, just have old granny call up wait for the message to play and pick up the reciever while its playing.
now you can record the conversation from the recievers little speaker.

seems like the best idea here was the radio shack mic though...

i have actually done this so....if you have a cordless or any phone with a mini jack output (its a little smaller than a 1/8 jack) just get an adapter to convert the mini plug to a 1/8 and go from there to your soundcard. make sure that phone is turned on. You wont be able to talk to her with that phone but you will be able to pick up another phone on the same line and have the conversation. You can also do this on a cell phone BUT your mini jack has to split the line into 2 STEREO lines and one has to go to your computer (probably will have to buy another mini jack to 1/8 adapter) and the other line is where you will plug your cell phone head piece.

All of these adapters have to be STEREO or you will only get one side of the conversation.

I know this works because I have done it so if this left you a little confused let me know and I'll try to explain it a little better.

hope this helps...

if you want you phone conversations taped for free just start sending money to al quieda. the us government will tape it for free.

I did this really cheap once!!!

I used a PC mic. One that people get with thier computer packages....the stick. you know which one i mean, you probably have one. I just used a small screwdriver to take the outer cover off (which ruined it BTW). Then i took the mic out (which is about the size of three dimes stacked on each other) and litterally taped it to the speaker on my cordless home phone. Because of how it records, it caught my voice very well, and got the speaker of the phone better than anything else i tried. Of course i was dead broke when i did it, and i haven't tried it since, but i thought it was a funny story. And it did work to my satisfaction. Oh, an i'd probably have to suggest against the Afgani' way to get a recording, if ya wanna send money somewhere, send it to me!!!

MCL
InspektaBrain

radio shack

Radio Shack to the rescue on this one ...

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Pro...RadioShack&category=Recorders&product=4302208

I bought this device. It works well ... I'm a researcher and use it to record phone interviews to a hand-help tape recorder. However ... it has 1/8" plug. So you could go direct to your sound card with that ... or to a mixer.

Its $40CDN ... if you are literally just going to use it for that one line ... I could probably just record it for you. You could call me 3-way ...

Let me know ... me@chadnuttall.com ...

hybrid

the broadcast industry uses a device called a "hybrid" to take audio off from or send audio onto a phone line. it's one way they do those remote broadcasts when out of RF range of the studio. They use them for the call in talk shows.

They are generally very expensive, but i saw one at BSW for like $150.00

it's high for a one time investment, but if you want it done right, it's the way to go.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Not "walla yer done"...... have you ever lifted an extension while someone else is on the phone? It cuts the volumes levels down considerably, so no - that's NOT going work.
What about pressing mute on the other extension?

Back