Recording a narration

I have a job recording a person talking about a product the will end up on a promo DVD.
Any suggestions on mic placement for this job? It seems like it should be simple enough but I don't want to over look anything if I can get better results, thanks

I'd do like this:
1. Put the narrator in a large soft comfy chair where he can sit read from the manuscript (if there is one).
2. Place a LD mic above and in front of his head pointing straight down.

The position of the mic will prevent breathing sounds and plosives, and the mic pointing down lets the narrator in his chair damp some of the sound of the room.

If it doesn't sound good, experiment with the angle of the mic.

Never tried it, but I think it will work well.

VO's are pretty easy. Just get a stand for the copy and make sure he can read it and keep his head in a good position for the mic. Mic a little closer than you normally would a singer.

Hopefully you have good sound isolation because there's no place to hide outside noises in VO's.

The hardest part can be getting the speaker to not breath or make little noises right before key phrases so hopefully your digital editing skills are good.

Lip smack is the most annoying problem and seems to require the exact balance of water drinking to avoid drymouth but not so much that they sound 'spitty'.

Back