Recording a Harmonica

jazzbass12

Hi,
I am recording a harmonica, kind of bluesy song. Any suggestions as to best way to mic??
I am thinking SM58...Any EQ or Comp tricks would be appreciated..

Hi Bob..

The two mics I usually reach for would be a 58 for a cleaner sound or a Shure 520 (Green Bullet). Either direct to a preamp or for extra nasty, through a guitar amp.

I used a blue bullet into a treble & bass 50 valve amp cranked up mic'd with a beyer m201

I also ran the bullet straight to my P/tools desk

as well as all tha I had an AKG solidtube up pointing sideways to the player

I ran that all flat apart from a bit of compression on the amp mic to smooth out the nasty edges slightly

but a 58 would do in the face of having no bullet, just watch it doesn't cut your ears out at high volumes

Not easy to find, but if you can get your hands around an Astatic JT30, that is considered pretty much the gold standard for blues harp mics, though any bullet mic will work. Barring a bullet mic, the 58 will do.

Run it into a small, greasy amp, the dirtier the better, and run the pre hot. Mic that amp with a 57 and away you go.

G.

This question has been asked several times here, and people still don't seem to get that there is a distinction between styles, and that your approach to recording them will be completely different.

Plain old blues harp is recorded as you would record a vocalist or horn player.

Amplified blues harp requires that you cup a microphone in your hands along with the harp. For that you will mic the amplifier.

AGCurry said:
This question has been asked several times here, and people still don't seem to get that there is a distinction between styles, and that your approach to recording them will be completely different.

Plain old blues harp is recorded as you would record a vocalist or horn player.

Amplified blues harp requires that you cup a microphone in your hands along with the harp. For that you will mic the amplifier.

or you can do both & blend them

as I did

AGCurry said:
With the "amplified" sound, the amplification itself is only half of it, and the half that has nothing to do with the player (other than his choice of amp, of course ;) ) The other half of it is the cupped microphone, which for all intents and purposes becomes part of the instrument. Not only does the placement inside the cupping capture a sound that just cannot be gotten from outside, but the shape and size of the cavity itself as affected by the microphone itself also is a major contributor to the sound. It is entirely possible to record the mic direct if you want to capture that cupped sound without the amplifier. But then again, that's rather like getting a hot fudge sundae and skipping the whipped cream and nuts :). I have a hard time thinking of an actual blues harpist that lived in the days of electricity that didn't prefer doing it that way.

If you wanted to record straight harp acoustically, there anything from a 57 to a Sen 441 could be mounted just about forehead height, angled down. (keep the mic off-axis from the airflow istelf.)

Or, if you want an Ennio Morricone/spaghetti western sound, far mic it in a bright room or run it close and dry through a big assed plate.

But for true cross harp blues harp, stick that mic in his hands if you want it to sound like an old Muddy Waters record.

G,

OK - so do you go from the 58 to a preamp first, then feed the pre-output to the guitar amp?

Or - do you use one of those low-Z to high-Z transformers and plug the mic right into the amp?

I've always had terrible issues with feedback / gain staging when trying to feed an amp with a mic being blown at with harp.

savageblues said:
OK - so do you go from the 58 to a preamp first, then feed the pre-output to the guitar amp?

Or - do you use one of those low-Z to high-Z transformers and plug the mic right into the amp?

I've always had terrible issues with feedback / gain staging when trying to feed an amp with a mic being blown at with harp.
If the amp has a line-level input, you can run from a preamp out, otherwise I'd use the impedance converter and bypass the preamp.

G.

OK thanks, I'll try that method. Nothing else has worked too well.

(I think we have one of those in-line Z-converters around somewhere from the days when we used to have to plug mics into whatever we could find for a PA).

I am not using an amp as I dont have one. I have several condensor mics a nd a few 58s. Looks like I will have the 58 in his hand..

Any thoughts on compression settings? I imagine I will need this due to the spikes involved with harp blowing..

Thanks

jazzbass12 said:
Any thoughts on compression settings? I imagine I will need this due to the spikes involved with harp blowing..
What dynamics there are will depend greatly upon his technique - consistancy of air level, whether he's playing mostly from the throat or the chest, etc. What you want as far as dynamics depends greatly upon the style of music you're working with.

If you're talking true blue American blues harp (a la Sonny Boy Williamson, James Cotton. Paul Butterfield, etc.), you'll probably want it to sound rather compressed, especially if it's being used as an accopmanying instrument in the mix. If it's a lead instrument, maybe just a bit less compression might leave alone some wanted nuances in their performance.

Running a signal through an amp tends to auto-compress the signal somewhat. If you're running direct (through a mic pre), but want to emulate that amp sound, you'll proabaly want to compress a little more than usual to make up for the lack of amp.

But compress to you ear; it's hard to put numbers on it. If the guy plays pretty unevenly (in a bad way), you might want to increase the threshold and the ratio to act in a more limiting way. If he's a pretty consistant player, try lowering the threshold and the ratio just to fatten up the sound.

HTH,

G.

Back