Recording a corporate meeting: important:

nbtech_2001

I'm going to be recording a possible 4 hour meeting straight through. What would you recommend for settings on my laptop (Toshiba sattalite l670) to record a solid session with no issues during recording? Should I create a login with stripped down background processes. This recording is very important, so i need to know that I can record atleast 4 hours straight. What do you recommend?

I'm using an Mbox mini 2 and pro tools 8

Thanks

I often record events such as panel talks and teachings, I just did one last week where there was a MC and 3 discussion panellists, and the whole thing was webcast (not by me thank goodness but I supplied the audio feed to them) and recorded.

I use a 3 year old NEC laptop and a Presonus Firebox recording via the line ins from the PA system (which I am also operating). These talks have often lasted 3 hours and I have only had trouble when there has been a power outage, once where for some reason the firebox lost sync with the laptop (this seems to have been fixed with service pack 3 XP) and once when I had a screen saver turned on.

some things to watch out for;

Depending on your anti virus software you may have to disable it as it will want to check the file when you have finished and lock up what you are doing.
Turn off any scheduled computer functions, I.E up dates, wireless, hard drive scanning, sleep modes, screen savers , etc.
Record in mono as it's only spoken word, this reduces the file size by half. You could also record in 16 bit or mp3 as you will notice little difference with this type of recording.
If you have any type of back up recorder use it but make sure its independent of the laptop, I use a Zoom H2 line in from the mixer recording mp3.

Cheers
alan.

awesome thanks...Are you privateer or working for an AV group? I have been and will be working on panel type meetings for various large companies for a long time. I work for Swank AV out of Orange County...this will be the first time I record anything..does the client ever want the recording right away? Do you bounce it on the spot and export to mp3? do you use any software or hardware processing before, after, or during the recording?

I am a privateer, nowadays I work part time in my studio recording bands and also play in a band myself. I get quite a few small jobs around the place doing small PA systems and recording events as I used to run a touring PA and full time studio for many years.

I record the event either straight off a PA console or through my own small portable mixer with a split from the PA depending what is easier. I try to record straight with no processing at all if possible, however sometimes a little EQ from the PA is unavoidable due to the set up.

I have sometimes given the recording to the client straight after the event (converted to mp3 and put on a stick), if that's what they want, I usually do a quick level check and maybe bump it up a bit, and I top and tail the recording, as I usually start it early and finish late so not to miss anything. When I give the recording straight after the show I usually tell them I will get them a better copy later, better meaning I may eq it, edit down the volume of loud bumps, bangs, coughs, etc and then run it through a limiter to keep the level up, just some soft limiting so that the voice stays in the listening range when they talk quietly and acting on loud phrases, applause, etc.

Most clients now want the finished recording on mp3 to post on their web site or to email out, and also for easier handling as it's too long to go on a CD. If they have filmed the event I will give the film guys the full EQed, limited audio in 24bit 44.1khz to dub onto the film, just don't cut out sections of silence as this screws them up, let them do this themselves.

Times have changed a lot I started with a cassette recorder and a box of 90 min tapes, then in later years a dat tape which had to be transferred to CD later, then a clunky desktop which I had to pack up and move around, and finally a laptop. Now my whole live recording rig fits in a small case.

Actually I went to India Nov and Dec 2010 and took a small recording setup with me to capture some street sounds and edit them, see attached. How small can you get?

Cheers
Alan.

mini studio small.JPG

if you're anyway worried about the laptop performance, keep the buffer setting as high as possible.
If there's no need for monitoring, then latency isn't an issue, so go with 1024 or whatever the highest setting is.

+1 for bringing the coffee. probably bring a flask or something too :P

witzendos: justa quick side-question I noticed in your studio rack you got a graphic EQ..is that to tune out your room or for an instrument track?..curious..

witzendos: justa quick side-question I noticed in your studio rack you got a graphic EQ..is that to tune out your room or for an instrument track?..curious..

That top rack was actually left over from my PA days but has some handy things in it. The top EQ is a mono 31 band and in the PA days I used to run the kick through it followed by a compressor. A lot of my PA gigs were 4 bands a night and with a different kick for each band I found it was great for sorting out the sound quickly. I still use it on kicks in the studio as it's a great way to notch around that 250 hz and to add some click if needed. The 2 channel 30 band under it is no longer there as I have robbed it from the studio to use with the small PA I use with my own band, when it was there I would use it as an insert or for side band compression set ups, but it did not get used much.

The other stuff in that rack is an old Alesis micro verb 1, micro verb 2 and a micro limiter, a Ibanez HD1000 harmoniser / delay (about 12 bit digital I think) and a Slapback Audio-Scintillator enhancer, plus 2 x Alesis 3630 compressors (that get a bad rap but I use them and don't mind them at all). All in all a great little compact PA rack.

Actually there has been some movement of gear in the control room so updated pics soon.

Cheers
alan.

Back