Recording a Choir

BibleMan

I have backing tracks already recorded for some songs for our church. There are also some vocal tracks completed, but I now want to record our Church Choir to accompany the tracks.

Setting up proper mics and positioning should not be a problem (thanks to great info I have gotten from other posts on this BBS), however I am trying to figure out how to get the choir to be able to hear the backgroud tracks without it bleeding onto their track. I do NOT have enough headphones to go around.

Should I have considered this earlier in the project? Am I screwed? :D

Thanks for any ideas.

BM

Here's something you can try. Wire a set of playback speakers to a MONO power amp with the polarity reversed on just one of the speakers. Set them next to each other and make sure they are positioned to the BACK of the microphones but faceing the choir. The idea here is the two speakers are 180 degrees out of phase with each other and are at the back of cardiod mics. Even though the speakers are out of phase, the choir should still be able to hear them and as their sound reachs the mics out of phase with each other, a lot of the pick up should be cancelled out.

The speaker idea is a good one. Even if there is a small amount of bleed, it will low in the mix compared to the actual instrumental tracks, so it will sound like just a little extra added ambience when blended back in with the original.

Another (and possibly simpler) alternative is to give the conductor and the strongest singers in each section headphones. Then the rest of the choir can sing along with them.

Our choir is 20.

Walkman headphones might actually be do-able.

What would be the easiest way to connect them? There are only two headphone outs on the board. Lots of "Y" jacks? :D

Thanks for the ideas. If anyone has any ideas on getting signal to all those headphones I would love it.

Thanks.

BM

Yep Lots of jacks all in parallel. Remember each singer only need one off so therefore you only need to modify 10 pairs of cheap walkman headphones.

As the IMP. is high you can join them all together and run them off the output of a normal amplifier ( in mono). Use both outputs and use the balance control if some pepes like it louder than others.

I would suggest getting the same model of headphone for all the units as the efficiency of them can vary greatly

Back