Recording a 4X10 Guitar Cab

ZPphreak

Hello all, I am dipping into the realm of Amp micing as of now. I have never mic'ed a guitar cab and I'm kinda excited. Here's what I have:
a 1974 Fender Bassman Ten.
The 4, 10" Original Bass speakers were replaced with Eminence Loudspeakers before I bought the Amplifier. The man who owned it previously
was a guitarist and not a Bassist. It works out though because I don't own a bass. now on to the Guitar...
A Telecaster copy. Custom made from samick parts with a solid Ash body and active EMG pickups. 2 single pickup design one
bridge pickup and one neck pickup. 3 pos. switch and single tone control.

Ok, now that you see my signal chain I'll tell you about my input.
I have several mics to chose from:
A. 3 samson R21 Dynamic microphones
B. 2 Behreinger ECM 8000 condensors
C. 1 MXL V67 LD Condensor

I am perplexed as far as how I should go about in micing this beast. also, I should add that I am wanting to record both clean
(possibly chorused lead guitar) and distorted rhythm guitar tracks so I realize that there will be 2 or 3 different setups but i am
mainly interested in the distorted rhythm guitar micing. something like Matchbox 20 or Barenaked Ladies. This is my foremost concern.
I have attached pictures of my amp and the room it will be in. The room is relatively dead with a slight reverb to it.
The verb quickly decays but can be quite ringy as sustained pitches. blankets are available.

Room : 8' ceiling with angled corners to wall, 15' wide, 19' long.

The windscreen on the R21 has been removed.

Attachments

• mic 1.jpg
    mic 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 144
Ok, last picture, this is from a little farther back, it shows a little more of the room. My main concern is where to position the mic on the cab.
A: Should I put in right on one of the speakers...
a- If I only mic one speaker won't it kinda negate the purpose of a larger cab...?
B: Should I place it in teh middle somewhere....
b- If I do , should it be up close or farther back.....

Attachments

• room 1.jpg
    room 1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 134
I've read before on this Forum, about 2 inches from where your screen would be. Record listen, move 1/2" or so at a time and see what works. I set it about 2 inches.

Thanks for replying Bullyhill,

So you are suggesting to mic only one of the 4 speakers?
I know how to move the mic around on say.... a single speaker amp... but this 4X10 cab is what is stumping me..
I don't know if I should back the mic off the amp for a fuller sound... maybe I should do both.... any suggestions anyone... ?

Yeah, maybe for now, get a good sound with one. I have heard people micing each speaker and then a room mic a couple feet back, I haven't tried that yet, but will soon.
I forgot to add, The mic should be pointing directly at the cone/center of the speaker.
Have fun man.

mmm

I should say, record on the way as you were planning in AMP1(not in the centre)
Anyway, that's the way I do it. And my mic is places e bit closer to the cab, maybe I shouldn't do this but anyway, I'm doin' it :p
Bye

There really is no one way to do it. Try different things and see what sounds you like. Some even like to mic the back of the cab for a different sound. The tried and true method is an SM57 a few inches away from one of the speakers. I would use the V67 before those other mics.

I would move the amp away from the wall and corners though and put it up on a milk crate or chair to give the sound a little air.

Should I be concerned about the V63 as far as damaging it from high SPL? I was a little worried about putting it up on the speaker close... thanks sooo much for your replies everyonw. I'm gona try a few out in a second or two and maybe post some results.

Ok.. thanks for all your help guys. I have a 40 second or so sound bite to share.. The amp is turned up about as much as I can bear seeing as how I'm in the room... I might try micing the amp in another room once I get the thing figured out.. but here's a small bite.. It's miced 24" back in the center of the top left speaker. I pulled the Amp away from the wall a foot or so... don't really have anything to set it on though.. lemme know what you guys think.. My ears hurt....

here's pics of the setup for viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• side view @24 in.jpg
    side view @24 in.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 63
Back