recording 1x12 combo amp

robbocop

I'm having a bit of a struggle trying to make whats coming out of my PC speakers sound as good as whats coming out of my Mesa Boogie dc5 amp.I'm miking the boogie with an sm58 and this goes straight to the line in of my Yamaha SW1000xg Sound card(an ok card i've been told).It's just trying to capture the meaty bottom end thats coming out of the amp,any tips appreciated,thanks!(The rooms about 8feet by 13 feet.)

Your PC speakers are never gonna match the sound of a guitar amp. And the analog to digital conversion on your card is not gonna be all that great too. Perhaps using some EQ will beef things up.

I don't think you want to use eq in order to hear the meaty bottom end on your PC speakers. Chances are you've already captured a fairly good sound but can't hear it because your PC speakers have poor bass response.

What you really need is a set of monitors in order to tell whether any eq is in necessary. Mixing and eq'ing using PC speakers as a reference will insure that your mixes sound wonderful on your PC and shitty everywhere else.

Back