Recordig drums in my bedroom

guitarist_44

Me and my band are planning to record this summer, and we hope to do it in my home studio. I have my computer, mixer, mics, amps, etc... setup in my room, so thats wher eeverything wil be recorded.

I was wondering if anyone has to tried to record drums in their bedroom in their house. I have a large room, big enough to fit a large drum set, bed, dresser, etc... I will most likely have accesss to about 7 or 8 microphones for the recording.

Are there any precations or tricks i can use to get a better sound out of the drums when recording? I will be using a mix of different kinds of mics. A lot of Shure 57's and Shure 58's. My band plays a mix of rock, jazz, and alternative music. Our drummer is raelly good, and plays quite diverse lines. If you need anymore information to help me out, just ask!

Thanks alot!

That question is way too vague.

Instead of asking everyone how to record a drumset, try this:

1. Experiment on your own
2. Try comparing to a song that you want the drums to sound more like.
Make note of everything you like/dont like.
3. Search this forum for the answers

If you're still stuck, THEN ask a question.

Do you have anything you'd like to ask thats more specific? I.E. How to tune drums, mic placement, EQ for instruments?

I record music in a double wide trailer which is my home for now. The recording area room is 10'x11'. I had to sound treat the room. You will be very frustrated trying to get a decent sound out of overhead condenser mics in a small room with bare sheetrock walls or paneling. I treated the walls with light weight outdoor rugs. Your overheads are probably the most important mics to capture the sound of the over all drum kit. But I have no trouble getting good results. Close micing(dynamic) your drums will add attack to your recordings. In other words an additive. But always start with the overhead mics to get a great sound first.

Back