Recorded vocals with poor quality...........

DjEmpty

When I record myself on my microphone the waves of the audio are uneven so the overall quality of the track sounds severely unprofessional. What would be an inexpensive way for my recordings to sound decent at the least? It sounds like I need to get some kind of compressor/limiter to ensure that the recording is even but I am not sure. I am currently using audacity to record my verses and cool edit pro to track it. The main track with music is produced with Fruity loops.

When I record myself on my microphone the waves of the audio are uneven so the overall quality of the track sounds severely unprofessional. What would be an inexpensive way for my recordings to sound decent at the least? It sounds like I need to get some kind of compressor/limiter to ensure that the recording is even but I am not sure. I am currently using audacity to record my verses and cool edit pro to track it. The main track with music is produced with Fruity loops.

I don't tend to like a lot of compression on vocals. Ride the levels when mixing if you're seeing significant level changes and need to keep the level constant. Better yet, don't move around a lot; keep your mouth pointed towards the mic. :)

I don't tend to like a lot of compression on vocals. Ride the levels when mixing if you're seeing significant level changes and need to keep the level constant. Better yet, don't move around a lot; keep your mouth pointed towards the mic. :)
Agreed. Consistency and refinement of technique first, then leveling is candy on top.

Compressor plugs in your recoding apps? There's plenty of inexpensive ones around to get you rolling.

Back