Recorded long ago and far away

Jim Soloway

I recorded this in Los Angeles in 1992. I listened to it today for the first time in almost 10 years. It was a lot better than I remember it and makes me wish that I had somehow gotten it out of the can.

Unfortunately, my first impression is HUGE hiss, but that's a niggle.

My second impression, however, is a dark, Louisiana night with a big ol' batch of crawdads, a sweaty t-shirt, a six-pack of Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager, and a scantily clad, slightly-skanky-in-a-good-way brunette in my lap.

That's probably not what you were going for, but it definitely took me somewhere. I like that.

I immensely enjoyed this song, and this is absolutely not my style of music. I love it when that happens.

Between you and Geezer with his little jazz ditty, I've decided not to kill myself tonight! Is that the ultimate kudo, or what?

J/k

You have a great voice. Or whoever. Seriously. Great voice. Great lyrics. Great guitar. Nice drums. Great. Great. Great. Did I say...? Well, you get the picture.

The only fault I find is the hiss, and that could be due to almost anything. Otherwise, this is a perfect song. I'd give my left, right and middle nuts to write something this goddamn cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna crack open a beer now... and see what I can do for this brunette on my lap. Mmmmmm.

Jim,

That sounded very slick. Well played and very well recorded. I can't find a single fault to mention at all.

Regarding the tape hiss, I did hear it a bit but, it wasn't objectionable to my ears which don't hear a huge amount of top end these days anyway. ;)

What was the original format of the recording?

I assume it was analog and you transfered a cassette copy of the tune to make the mp3 that we heard.

The Ghost of FM said:
Jim,

That sounded very slick. Well played and very well recorded. I can't find a single fault to mention at all. Regarding the tape hiss, I did hear it a bit but, it wasn't objectionable to my ears which don't hear a huge amount of top end these days anyway. ;)

What was the original format of the recording?

I assume it was analog and you transfered a cassette copy of the tune to make the mp3 that we heard.

You pretty much nailed it. It was recorded on 8 track half inch tape and I transfered is from a cassette using a crappy walkman type machine. The original recordings are very clean. That walkman is the entire source of the hiss.

And the image of the scantily clad brunette and the New Orleans bar is really pretty close to what I had in mind.

It is me singing and playing guitar and the song was written by Bruce Cockburn about 30 years ago.

Back