Recorded Kick Drum Without Resonant Head; Opinions

Lionzeye

I have been recording some serious drum sessions without the resonant head and was hoping to get some PROFESSIONAL opinions and advice on how recording without a resonant head can be an advantage and disadvantage to recording with the resonant head, especially when it comes to mix-down. I am recording pure reggae at the moment and have been happy with the sound, but not as "boomy", as with the resonant head.

I am not looking for a, "just test, and listen for yourself", because I already know what I will find, but I am looking for a general consensus based of what other have tested at home. More curiosity and some app..

Signal Path:

Beta 52A --> API pre --> API eq --> API Comp. --> Lynx Aurora --> MAC Pro

Thanks to all!

When I want a punchy, short kick sound, I will take off the front head and put a small pillow against the batter head.

Most of the kick sounds on rock albums in the 70's and early 80's were done without the resonant head.

When I want a punchy, short kick sound, I will take off the front head and put a small pillow against the batter head.

Yes, I have become more familiar with that sound with these recent sessions, and for rock it probably sits better in the mix. But, I wonder if the abundant breathing space that reggae music contains, the more resonant "boomy" kick would be more ideal and sit down in the mix just fine without to much invasion and even balance, and even more reminiscent of early Studio One, and Channel One/Black Ark studio productions.

IMO kicks of the 70s sounded like dogshit. Kicks of today without a resonant head sound like dogshit. Put the head back on. You can tune it to get any sound you want. Cut a small hole in it for more miking options. The smallest hole that will still fit a mic will allow you to still tune the resonant head like a resonant head.

And honestly, I can get that '70's' bass drum sound with the front head on as well with very little muffling. Its all about head choice, tuning, and mic placement.

When I mix in a bass drum, I try to keep it in the same pocket as the bass guitar. The bass drum making the hit, and the bass continuing the same amplitude as tone.

If you wanted more separate precussion this would not work.

To get more separation I really pull the mic's back up overhead. Not sure if that is the drum or the room happening then.

Back