Record with direct out or busses? Setup help request and recording mixer suggestions?

Noisehead

Hello All,

I've come to a juncture in my setup/recording learning process where I'm kinda stuck on where to go next. Right now I'm running a 24x8 (mackie)board and recording via the busses to a Delta1010. It seems to me a perfect match in theory... the recordings I've made thus far sound poor (quiet, distant and flat). Speaking with a friend who records I found out that he uses the direct outs to record to a bank of 1010s (basically 24 channel direct outs to the ins of 3 1010s). The stuff I heard of his sounds much better than mine (using similar mics for the most part: 57s, 58's --but has some snazzy special purpose mics for drums).

My question is should I be using direct outs instead of busses for recording? The reason this is coming up is that my board is acting up and I'm looking for another but having a difficult time finding an 8 buss board that I like so I'm considering other formats.

If I change formats, I'll have to sort out how to utilize the 1010 most efficiently. If I'm using direct outs, then I don't really need busses at all --except for maybe sending mixes back out to the room for monitoring or whatever right? I'd like to avoid patchbays if possible b/c I'm for too unorganized to have to wire and unwire channels every time I want to record stuff. How might one wire something like that? Should I just get more 1010s?

As I mentioned I'm just looking for a little direction/advice here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The type of stuff I'm recording ranges from loudish rock to electronic dance/ambience to acoustic/folk. It seems the only thing I have nailed is that I need 24 channels of ins on the mixer (preferably switchable b/t XLR and 1/4" b/c I do mic work and keyboards).

Again, thanks for taking the time to read and for any help/suggestions/advice you may offer!

Best regards,
Nh:confused:

Hello All,

I've come to a juncture in my setup/recording learning process where I'm kinda stuck on where to go next. Right now I'm running a 24x8 (mackie)board and recording via the busses to a Delta1010. It seems to me a perfect match in theory... the recordings I've made thus far sound poor (quiet, distant and flat). Speaking with a friend who records I found out that he uses the direct outs to record to a bank of 1010s (basically 24 channel direct outs to the ins of 3 1010s). The stuff I heard of his sounds much better than mine (using similar mics for the most part: 57s, 58's --but has some snazzy special purpose mics for drums).

My question is should I be using direct outs instead of busses for recording? The reason this is coming up is that my board is acting up and I'm looking for another but having a difficult time finding an 8 buss board that I like so I'm considering other formats.

If I change formats, I'll have to sort out how to utilize the 1010 most efficiently. If I'm using direct outs, then I don't really need busses at all --except for maybe sending mixes back out to the room for monitoring or whatever right? I'd like to avoid patchbays if possible b/c I'm for too unorganized to have to wire and unwire channels every time I want to record stuff. How might one wire something like that? Should I just get more 1010s?

As I mentioned I'm just looking for a little direction/advice here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The type of stuff I'm recording ranges from loudish rock to electronic dance/ambience to acoustic/folk. It seems the only thing I have nailed is that I need 24 channels of ins on the mixer (preferably switchable b/t XLR and 1/4" b/c I do mic work and keyboards).

Again, thanks for taking the time to read and for any help/suggestions/advice you may offer!

Best regards,
Nh:confused:

Everything else being equal, a direct out signal will be cleaner due to the shorter signal path. Having all of the directs available at a patch bay makes using them quite convenient. Personally, it's been ages since I've used the buss outs on my console to feed any recording device.

Back