Record to digital, mix with analog?

p_wats

Hey guys,

I'm looking at a slight change in my current setup. These days I've got a Zoom R24 that I'm very happy with as an interface/recording station (great to record demos with direct to the SD slot, then use as an interface with Reaper to go a little deeper), but I'd love to also be able to do some analog mixing.

I just fixed up an old Ursa Major Space Station SST-282 and would love to use it in a send/return of a mixer!

The problem is that the R24 has no digital outs, so I can get 8 inputs into the computer, but nothing back out for mixing/reamping, etc.

I assume I'd need some kind of digital I/O rack unit or something to do this (track to reaper, but send out to my mixer and back for mixing)? Or is it more complicated than that?

I was thinking about grabbing a cheap Motu 828 Mk1 to experiment with (can get one for under $100 on Craigslist), but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Something like the MOTU would work. I use a MOTU 2408 mkII along with an HD24 as a 24 channel sound card and mix on a Tascam M-3500. I like it. I can use hardware processors along side plugins on a mix in real time. It's pretty powerfull system.

Thanks! I figure the Motu could be a good experiment (re: cheap). At the moment I've got an old Fostex 812 mixer that I use with my R8 reel to reel that I'd love to get going (A/B'd the pres on it and they sound better than the Presonus Blue Tube DP I'm hoping to unload).

I suppose something like an Audiofire8 or newer Motu would be better in the end...

Back