Record scratch rap

steve pratt

Does anyoe know where I can get some free sound waves of record scratch sounds like those that are often used in rap, on the net? I'm incorporating it into a soundtrack for a short film.

Much appreciated

Start here...

http://www.scratch.com

Then, do a search on the World Wide Web on:

Invisbl Skratch Piklz

X-Ecutioners

Beat Junkies

Q-Bert

Short Kut

Mix Master Mike

Most of their web pages have extended scratch samples.

Peace...

spin

i dont recommend using scrathc samples off other dj's i mean why dont you sample some original scratches off a real dj?

Many thanks spinsterwun, I'll give those a try.

I can't help notice a contradiction in your question tazkatraz. You suggest I go out with a bundle load of audio gear and record a guy doing record scratches (ie. sample his work) instead of downloading a variety of samples from work produced by various artists? To sample or not to sample? so what is the question?

sorry...

That's incredibly weak...
It's soooooooo damn easy to find a real dj that would probably do it for free too, if he gets his name up etc...
I understand your logic of it, but it's not real!
It's biting someone else's work, hiphop's about being authentic...would you use an already made beat, and use it for yourself, I'd hope not.
If all you want is simple scratches, It's real easy, any one with tables could prob fill your kwota...unless you were looking for some Q-bert or something. I don't mean to blow up on you, your not the only one who has thought to do this or has done it, beleive me, but to me this is the apitemy of shame to the music.
your doing a video right, so it's not really music, but atmosphere to the video...I'd just ask an artist if he'd be down to rep his shit on a video, if it's low budgy I don't think any artist would try and make money off you, or even if it wasn't they might get their music heard by a new audience etc... I could see many artists letting you use their scratches if you just asked and told them what you want, then you could actually say on the video that you got a real dj to do your shit, and it will look more impressive.
better than some kid looking at it wondering who did it...

but if you just take the singular scratches and sort of cut and paste your own stuff, I guess you could get away with it. I just wouldn't copy anything long enough that your stealing the artists talent.

Re: sorry...

PRiZ said:
That's incredibly weak...
It's soooooooo damn easy to find a real dj that would probably do it for free too, if he gets his name up etc...
I understand your logic of it, but it's not real!
It's biting someone else's work, hiphop's about being authentic...would you use an already made beat, and use it for yourself, I'd hope not.

Ask Puff....er, I mean P. Diddy! ;)

understood

Appreciate the feedback guys. And I can totally understand why some guys might be offended by the use of samples in a song. I've been a guitarist now for about 20 years and the thought of people replacing a guitar segment in a song with a sample instead of a real musician might be unsettling to me as well. It aint real! I hear ya. But I guess the point here is the context. A guitar sample or a record scratch sample might be just right given the frame of context. In my music which is mainly guitar driven the record scratch sample is very brief. It was then up to me to mix it , fade it and sequence it as I saw fit. Also I was really pressed for time to get my soundtrack music finished so I could hand my film in on time.

As it turns out my film has been shortlisted for the Brisbane International Film Festival , so I'm really wrapped. It's called "Bowled Over" - a short film about how a gold fish escapes his fish bowl.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm dissing another music style (ie, rap) . But I do think it all comes down to how we use stuff. I didn't make the Gibson guitar I play, or the strings on it. But does this mean the notes I extract from it are not my creation. It's all about context, expression and interpretation.

Yours respectfully

SteveP

so.....

That said... can someone give me a direct link to some scratch samples? I, for one, do not know any dj's, and I don't have the funds to hire one. I dont' want to steal anything, I'd just like a few scratch samples/passages to throw into my songs. Can anyone ablidge?

PRiz-- if you've got some stuff, I'll happily give you credit if I use it in a song.

Pete

no...

I don't have any samples, I know a grip of dj's but that doesn't really help... I'm sure there's samples out there, somewhere... if you have any hiphop albums why don't you just check them and see if theres any thing you can take of a cd...
I'm still trying to get my self setup, if i was I'd probably be able to, sorry.

ha ha ha

Hip hop' :eek: s all about being "authentic" That's the funniest thing I ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I love it and live it, buty come on, it's all just stolen music with dope rhymes over it.

F.Sandford said:
Hip hop' :eek: s all about being "authentic" That's the funniest thing I ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I love it and live it, buty come on, it's all just stolen music with dope rhymes over it.
Um, welcome to the Forums...

Please don't drudge up threads from 5 years ago, though. They're a little out of date..lol..

Back