Record Label??

Snowdog

A friend of mine has approached me about starting our own record label/production Co.. It dawned on me that I didn't know how to go about it..
Can anyone help with info on the process? Is it a worthwhile venture? Is it really needed to put out independent Cds?

First, Let me suggest you read this book.

All You Need to know about the Music Business
by: Donald S. Passman

Second, there are resources and zines all over the web dealing with this exact question. Do some research and learn the business whether you want to start a label or not.... You should become familiar with it anyway if you are currently trying to make it..

It is not needed in order to put out independent CD's ..... and I'm not going to tell you whether you should do it or not as its your decision but I will maybe briefly just speak about the topic

Everyone and their mother has a record label these days... Everywhere I go every "I think I'm somebody, but really a nobody" I meet is first to tell me about their record label..... Its actually quite funny to me....... the fact is they may have a DBA (doing business as) license with their town under "Blank Entertainment" and a business card with a fancy logo but the fact is they are not a record label. Indie or not indie it takes more than that to have a record company..... You can call yourself what you want but at the end of the day a Real record label has 2 things.

(1) A shit load of Capital

(2) National & International Distribution

Now of course you could be a small player.... do some things put out some CD's locally but you can do that as an artist. The fact is you'll probably lose money the first time you do it, so why have a business that shows a loss. Wait till you get it down pat then start a production company..... Your gonna have to establish relationships and network as much as you can with different stores in your area that can hold your product. I think one of the biggest problems we see in the indie section right now (especially in hip hop) is the artist is also the owner of their so called record label....... Which really makes no sense...... The business of running a record label has very little to do with the music and everything to do with marketing/promoting/networking/ and distribution of a product. The problem is they do not understand this fully.

Sorry I vented a little snow dog..... I am not trying to tell you not too..... All I'm saying is research the information thoroughly and make your own decisions :D

good post gec. People think often it is way to easy to set up a label, and this advice is not discouraging, it's realistic.

Besides the capital, you need a band or artist that really stands out, and that isn't easy. There are tons of new labels with artists that are 'not bad' , but definetely don't stand out. In the mainstream market, you'll be outclassed by the majors, don't doubt it. If you want to go mainstream, maybe you can find a deal with a major as a sublabel.

Otherwise, when in some kind of scene (rap, metal,..) are more open to independant label. But then again, you need those groundbreaking artist, to gain the reputation as a groundbreaking label. And there are very, very few labels who gain that status.

Otherwise, you'll end up like hundreds of labels with a profit to low to mention or more likely hughe losses. A starting capital is necesarry!! Maybe recordings tend to be cheaper these days, promotion costs heaps, and the stores don't easily tend to buy from newbies. The same for the big media, they are hung to the majors, don't expect them to play or even mention your music for nothing.

And off course, see that you get legal advice!! First do heaps of research on the subject (and I mean really a lot!!) and to be sure find a lawyer that has experience with the subject to get all things clear. If you say that you can't afford a lawyer: you're in no way to begin a label, believe me.

otherwise, good luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Great advice!

My "label" just affords me the opportunity to publish my work and have it copyprotected. If I really wanted to make money I'd become a wall street investor before even deluding myself into thinking I had or could come up with the revenue to start a good record company.

I think the best advice is to contact one of the big dogs and join up as a sub-label. If you already have some artists/material, you're a step ahead and that will help... if not, I'd start working on getting a base of bands that would be willing to record/get published under your label if it were to become a reality, and maybe create a compilation of songs from these bands as your company's "calling card."

I'm slowly growing that sort of base of material to do exactly that one day... maybe not tomorrow, but in the next decade I plan to either start this up full time or throw my energies behind a smaller, struggling local label...

Thanks guys!! Great responses!!

I think we'd probably be looking at this more from a publishing/Copyprotecting angle for our own works more so than trying to create a profitable business venture per say.
Not that either one of us is deadset against turning a profit mind you;) But we understand the reality of the situation that was so well explained above..
I guess we are wondering if there is an advantage to doing this(setting up the label) in respect to publishing and copyrighting our own independent works.. Or is this by and large an unecessary step?
As I see it now, I would think there would be 4 artists using the label in the beginning...Thanks for the help and advice guys:D

Snowdog said:

I think we'd probably be looking at this more from a publishing/Copyprotecting angle for our own works more so than trying to create a profitable business venture per say.

I guess we are wondering if there is an advantage to doing this(setting up the label) in respect to publishing and copyrighting our own independent works.. Or is this by and large an unecessary step?

Hey snowdog,

In about 2 weeks my website will be up. It contains detailed information about music publishing and copyright procedures. Additionally, there will be a forum just like this that deals with music publishing/copyrights and other aspects of music business. I will forward you the link when I get it back on line :D

I agree with BrettB, if you really want to be an indie player make sure you have that act, and look to get under a major's umbrella.

Back