Record companies

SuperJunior

Hi folks,
Short and simple, me and my band are tryin to get signed.
How do we present our demo?
What info do we need to include?
Also, does anyone have the addresses of record companies (big and small) to send Demoes to?

Cheers
Joe C

hmmm

i noticed you dont have a lot of answers here.........

i hope i don't offend the mod.

there is an organization i am familiar with [ www.taxi.com ]

they have a listing of what record companies are looking for.

you might want to research them :rolleyes:

This has got to be one of the biggest questions around here. I've been thinking about it lately, and it seems to me that the real problem that a lot of people have when tackling this is that they come at it from a task-oriented point of view rather than a goal-oriented point of view.

I mean, when you ask "What do I need to include in a press kit", you're treating it like a homework assignment. The question is, what's your goal with a presskit? You want to get signed? Alright, you need to ask yourself: if I was a record company, looking to make some money by selling some great music, what would I want to know about a band who wanted me to spend my money on them? What kind of things would convince you that band x is a worthier investment than band y?

I'm not trying to BS you here. I mean, I could give you some list like "photo, bio, cover letter, demo." But really, you need to think in terms of the goal and get creative about achieving it rather than following some pat formula. Whatever you put in that kit, whoever reads it needs to come away convinced that you and your music are a sound investment (no pun intended) that they would be fools to pass up. That's harder than it sounds.

If you need some help writing a bio, check out this article:
http://www.alandmoore.com/ramblings/WriteABio.htm

Best of success!

Great answer lykwydchykyn (btw how do you remember that username?) but i know that i can benefit from that you've said!

Hate to burst your bubble, but......

...keep in mind that record companies get thousands of submissions A DAY -- no one has time to sift thru that many.

Long gone are the days of sending a tape to a label and getting it heard.... the only way now, more or less, is to build your following, get some press and even cut a demo that sells well... this *might* garner the attention of a producer or A&R guy that *might* help you get into the door (since labels will listen to people whose opinions they can trust, rather than cold calls.)

Unsolicited tapes, however, have virtually zero chance......

Outlaws said:
But what if..........they suck live...

Than what do they do?
If the band sucks, why on earth would you think they would get a record deal in the first place (other than for William Hung-type humour purposes)!?!?!

There's plenty of badly recorded and bad music in the world already, do we really need more?

those days are gone

there is a new name for a promotion package and it is called a website. buisness cards, stickers, t-shirts and magnets should all have your web address on them. if you do not have website, you need to consider on getting one. its fast and easy for anybody to find out about your band.
we live in a ADD society that will lose intrest in anything that takes them more then five min to focus on. and also a website is something you can keep changing to keep people or RECORD REPS intrested in your stuff.

"I mean, when you ask "What do I need to include in a press kit", you're treating it like a homework assignment. The question is, what's your goal with a presskit? You want to get signed? Alright, you need to ask yourself: if I was a record company, looking to make some money by selling some great music, what would I want to know about a band who wanted me to spend my money on them? What kind of things would convince you that band x is a worthier investment than band y? "

Well I'm being picky I guess but it's not about 'great music', it's about selling units. If you can convince a record label that they will be able to shift tens of thousands of units by signing your band thern you'll get signed. Convinincing them to sign you is about showing your band can sell plastic units, not that you make great music, that's almost irrelevant whether you like it or not.

So, if you can demonstrate that you sell records already, or you get lots of publicity and are always in the news, or you sell out shows all over the place, or preferably all those things, then they'll queue up to sign you.

Back