record acoustic guitar fingering

tomy

hey , a question want to ask, i knew if i want to record acoustic guitar sweeping, make it sound stereo i can record two same track and put it to hard L and hard R, but if i want to record the acoustic guitar fingering, how to make it sound stereo?

If you do mean that you want to know how to get a good fingerpicking sound...then I'd suggest going line in, then micing with a sc about 8-12" from the 12th fret, and also get a LDC in there right above your hand (but not in front of the soundhole, you may want to use a 10db pad if your mic has one. This way you will get the clean tone of the notes being played from the direct line in...then you will get the acoustic sound of your guitar from your small diaphragm condenser at the 12th fret, and with the LDC you will get the sound of your fingers hitting the strings...a good mix of these three will get you a nice rich fingerpicking sound. Give it a shot. Tell me how it goes.

phase...

Don't forget about mic phasing with two mics so close to eachother (1 on the 12th fret and 1 by your picking hand) If your pre or your board has a phase switch activate it on one of the mics. Also, you could use a third mic behind the two (about 3 feet) or a small condenser pointed at the butt of the guitar's bodie's end (about 2 feet) to give it a more spacey sound that you can use low in the mix...

Back