Recommended Recording Software?

scottfisher

What software do you guys recommend?

Im going to be recording many layers of acoustic guitar and vocals. But the most mic Ill be recording at the same time is two. Ill usually just go back and layer over.

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor (3400+)
1 GB RAM
200 GB HD

I just recently got it, so I consider it up to date. I also have a good audio system for it (speaker wise). Im going to get a Studio Projects B1 and a Presonus Firebox when I gather the money.

The firebox should come with some kind of LE edition recording software, usually Cubase ( :D ), so I would recommend trying that out first. Also, I think I have seen people mentioning a site around here that you can download free demo versions of other recording programs as well. Try a search.

the mbox by digidesign comes with protools le its about 550 with a ton of plugins it is the most bang for the buck and protools is the standrd in recording

Nope. ProTools makes you use their hardware, and their hardware only. This has changed a bit, since they have come out with ProTools M-Powered, which lets you use select M-Audio interfaces with it, but it is still limiting.

Software wise, I would go with Cubase SX. I use it, and I love it. But I have always been a fan of cubase, I just like it. I don't really know why, I just do. Definitely go out and try some demos to see what you like, and then get it.

I'd stick with your plan of getting the firebox. It should come with Cubase LE. It should be all you need for what you're going to be doing.

I'd say that the most popular are Pro Tools, Sonar, and Cubase. That does'nt mean that you can't get the results you want if you use other software though.

Check out this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr05/articles/pcmusician.htm

I've used Cool Edit/Adobe Audtion, Sonar, and Cubase. Cool Edit/Audition does'nt handle midi so I moved on when I started using midi. Sonar just was'nt stable enough for me. I lost a few projects that I had been working on for awhile and I decided that was enough for me. I'd say that Sonar and Cubase are pretty equal in features but Cubase has been solid as a rock for me. I don't have to worry about Cubase crashing when using certain vst plugins and I don't worry about losing projects like I did with Sonar.

Last edited:
I would agree with beezelbubba on n-track since I've used it for more than 5 yrs now but with their latest version and version's past, I've almost given up hope on n-track ever being 100% stable for me the way I abuse it. It just locks up too much for me but that is attributed to some mastering plugins (I paid $200 for because they were listed on fasoft's approved plugin list) I've grown too attached to as well. N-track would probably do fine for you if you just don't do the same stupid things I do. I'm also recording at high resolutions as well and things probably wouldn't act up if I went back down to 16bit/44.1k resolution. The software tracks GREAT. It's just that it locks on me during mixdowns...and I'm running it on a laptop with limited performance.

I too am looking for a multitrack program but I keep coming back to n-track because it is just so damn straightforward and easy to do anything that seems to take ages in other multi-track softwares PLUS it supports Presonus hardware no questions asked unlike sonar which was the last thing I've tried that my guitarist swears by.

If you want to get in on the ground floor as a new app is being developed, join us with Reaper http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

This app so far is mostly targeting towards editing tasks although by tonite the main recording functionality should have been worked out ( four hours of argument over the auto-input behaviour)

free for now as its in beta, will definitely do everything you need, with the second fastest/best editing setup out there, hopefully soon to be the fastest/best

grab it and try it

since they have come out with ProTools M-Powered

Well, I suspect that came from above, not from Digidesign. Avid owns both digidesign and M-audio, but I digress.

I think with software (especially if your new to this) look at your needs now, and down the road. Some software is stronger in some aspects than others, find something that fits what you are going to be doing. Almost every DAW package has plenty of crossover so you should never be completely boxed in.

Traktion is available as a demo, so you might want that on your list also

Back