Recommended motherboard?

Since the general consensus was that Pentium II CPU's beat the crap out of Celeron's, I decided to upgrade my CPU to a Pentium II 400.

Problem! My motherboad can only support up to Celeron 300 and PII 333, so no matter what setting I specify in my BIOS, it defaults to Pentium II 266!

That is due to my crappy Houston/PC-Chips motherboard's EX/LX chipset, and when I have the cash, I'll upgrade the motherboard to a better product, but which? There must be a motherboard out there that won't cost an arm and provide proper performance for HD recording!

All feedback is appreciated!

Any motherboard is better than Houston.. no offense.

The Abit VA6 is quite good, ATA/66, cheap too. Has built in Audio on some of them but easily disabled.

Asus P3B-F or F1 are also good boards.

For future upgrades, I wouldn't get too hung up on the PC-133 spec - here today gone tommorow. It will make about as much difference as 100MHz made for 66MHz.

I really don't think you could beat the Abit BE6 II (Revision 2) motherboard. This second revision just came out in Oct 99 so I wouldn't think the price will drop much very soon. You can find it on http://www.pricewatch.com for about $135 (US). Make sure you read the details. I have seen original BE6 boards (not revision 2) selling for the same price or $10 cheaper than the revision 2. Supports up to 450MHz PII, 700MHz PIII. Chipset is Intel 440BX. Supports up to 4 Ultra DMA66 drives (DMA33 also). AGP to 2x. SDRAM to 768MB. One AGP slot, 5 PCI slots and 1 ISA slot. Also 2 USB connectors. You can start out cheap with a PII 450MHz processor (about $130) then upgrade to faster PIII's when the price drops. Hope this gave you a good starting place.

Back