recommended daw for $1000, $1500???

randemar

$1000 - yamaha aw16g???

$1400 - korg d1600???

any others and why?

is the additional $500 worth it if you have it?

th d1600 is 2 yeard old. is korg due for a new model in the near future?

dps16! do they still even sell them???

SIXTEEN faders, better LCD than the korg. i cant compare them, since i've never used the others so obviously this is based on appearance. oh and it's 24 bit/96 khz(are the others?). but anyway i love my dps16

a while ago i noticed you can get them REAL cheap at www.shreveaudio.com

T

Yo Great Randemar:

If possible, you might want to take a drive to a vendor that has these models and put your digits on them and see "how good the manuals are not" etc.

I use the 2816 and it takes a bit to get around unless you have the skills already at hand. If you go with the Yamaha, you'll have to buy a UPS power supply. Yamaha doesn't advertise this but in the manual you will see words that say if the power goes out while in use, you could lose your data, but even worse, you could botch up the Hard Drive. I bought one and it's nice protection.

You will hear good and negative about almost any DAW you mention -- it's to find the one with the fewer negatives that fits your mind set and then have fun.

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

The Hollywood Samash store sells the D1600 for $1099 without a burner, and you can buy a compatible burner off ebay (plextor plexwrite, which are the best burners out there) for $50 or less. The $1099 tag is not a floor/demo model. The LCD on the korg may not be the best looking thing you've ever seen, but it is a touch-screen.

On a side note, why pay so much for a DAW? You can build a rackmount computer (athlon xp 1.7 ghz) + Delta 1010 8input/8output sound card and box + Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 for about $1600.

Pick up a DPS16 for about $800 on ebay; CD/RW drive also available on ebay for about $150. Nice 24/96 combination for under a grand. Decent preamps and A/D converters. Easy to use.

esun127 said:
On a side note, why pay so much for a DAW? You can build a rackmount computer (athlon xp 1.7 ghz) + Delta 1010 8input/8output sound card and box + Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 for about $1600.

Myself, I have a computer with a Delta1010 and Cubase and it’s great. But I have a musician friend who has never owned a computer and probably wouldn’t even know how to turn one on. I can’t imagine him dealing with Windows, installing a sound card, driver issues, clicks and pops due to interrupt sharing, etc. I hope he can someday get something like the aw16g, since he’s done very well in the past with a cassette 4-track.

Back