Recommendations on upgrade

Rhymeswithmouth

Hello everyone! I am considering upgrading from my current rig (1st gen Scarlett 18i8 into Pro Tools, with a windows 8.1 machine), and am at a bit of a crossroads.

First, the problems I'm currently experiencing. The Scarlett only has 2 line level outputs, and those are taken up my my monitors. So I need something with more outputs, so I can do more easily use PT's output for real-time processing on Discord and Zoom.
I'd also like some inputs that are direct to ADC, without having to go through a mic pre.
Finally, I'd like to be able to go with a lower latency solution. Currently, I can only go as low as 32 samples on 44.1kHz.

I'm been considering something like a SSL alpha-link ax, which uses a MADI interface over PCIE. If I get that, I'd have to get either a bunch of mic pre's, or an actual mixing board. Would that be worth the upgrade? Or is there something else I can use to get flexible I/O, good quality ADC's, and low latency?

Is the SSL even available anymore? It's an 8 year old piece of equipment. Make sure you have drivers available. Is your computer up to snuff? If you're running 8.1, I'm guessing its at least 5 yrs old.

What kind of stuff are you recording? How many channels are you recording at one time? You say that if you got the SSL you would need to get a bank of preamps.

What type of latency do you feel you need? 2ms, 5ms? Most studies say that you need about 10ms delay to be noticeable. Remember that 1ms is about equal to standing 1ft from a speaker. 10ms is like 10 ft.

RE: ADC, Converters have improved quite a bit over the past 10 years. You can go to top line stuff like RME, and use either Firewire or USB. Maybe something like RME-Fireface-ucx-usb-firewire-interface . You know that it's current, and RME is supposed to be tops with keeping drivers up.

For $300 the Tascam 16x08 clicks most of the boxes you list. It has 8 line outs, I use two outs to send to my monitors, and two go to my headphone outputs. What type of "real-time processing on Discord and Zoom" are you doing? Going to hardware devices? The Tascam can send out any signal to any of the line outputs. I send the master bus to the line outs. Its all set up in the routing software.

The 6 balanced line inputs on the back can be set to either +4 or-10dBm. On the front are instrument inputs with trim pots for setting level. The line inputs don't have any pots, just digital adjustments in the routing software if you want to adjust. Also has DSP EQ and Compression control on each channel.

You can set things up so that you have direct monitoring, so there is NO latency. Version 4 of the software allows you to go all the way to 4 on the buffer setting at 96kHz, although I imagine you need a really kickass computer to be able to poll fast enough. I usually track at 32 bit buffer at 88K. The only time I have to bump the buffer is if I use something like Ozone, which takes more CPU resources. My CPU is a 4th Gen I5 at 3.2GHz. Running a 10th Gen processor would run circles around mine, but it handles my stuff just fine. I've recorded 8 tracks at once without issue.

Before sinking $1000 in a used SSL unit plus more for a bank of preamps, I would be looking at kicking up the computer as much as possible.

Difference in converter quality does not matter these days. Nobody can tell the difference.

A Gearslutz thread compared a Behringer converter with a super high end one in a blind test and users overwhelmingly preferred the Behringer. When they found out it was the cheap interface that won, they lost their shit.

I'm 100% convinced that if I know the answers beforehand, I can tell you exactly what device is better! It doesn't matter if it's an interface, mic, speaker, ADDA converter, cable or music stand. :thumbs up:

Is the SSL even available anymore? It's an 8 year old piece of equipment. Make sure you have drivers available. Is your computer up to snuff? If you're running 8.1, I'm guessing its at least 5 yrs old.

What kind of stuff are you recording? How many channels are you recording at one time? You say that if you got the SSL you would need to get a bank of preamps.

What type of latency do you feel you need? 2ms, 5ms? Most studies say that you need about 10ms delay to be noticeable. Remember that 1ms is about equal to standing 1ft from a speaker. 10ms is like 10 ft.

RE: ADC, Converters have improved quite a bit over the past 10 years. You can go to top line stuff like RME, and use either Firewire or USB. Maybe something like RME-Fireface-ucx-usb-firewire-interface . You know that it's current, and RME is supposed to be tops with keeping drivers up.

For $300 the Tascam 16x08 clicks most of the boxes you list. It has 8 line outs, I use two outs to send to my monitors, and two go to my headphone outputs. What type of "real-time processing on Discord and Zoom" are you doing? Going to hardware devices? The Tascam can send out any signal to any of the line outputs. I send the master bus to the line outs. Its all set up in the routing software.

The 6 balanced line inputs on the back can be set to either +4 or-10dBm. On the front are instrument inputs with trim pots for setting level. The line inputs don't have any pots, just digital adjustments in the routing software if you want to adjust. Also has DSP EQ and Compression control on each channel.

You can set things up so that you have direct monitoring, so there is NO latency. Version 4 of the software allows you to go all the way to 4 on the buffer setting at 96kHz, although I imagine you need a really kickass computer to be able to poll fast enough. I usually track at 32 bit buffer at 88K. The only time I have to bump the buffer is if I use something like Ozone, which takes more CPU resources. My CPU is a 4th Gen I5 at 3.2GHz. Running a 10th Gen processor would run circles around mine, but it handles my stuff just fine. I've recorded 8 tracks at once without issue.

Before sinking $1000 in a used SSL unit plus more for a bank of preamps, I would be looking at kicking up the computer as much as possible.
I would be recording a 4 piece band, in the most demanding scenario. My computer is a 4th gen i7, and has 16GB of RAM, and I've had absolutely no problem so far recording at 44.1 (I don't usually do higher sample rates, although I will be experimenting with them again).
As far as Discord and Zoom, I use plugins to do stuff like stream songwriting sessions, and to add compression/EQ to my voice.
5ms latency would be perfectly fine, and that Tascam unit you recommended looks interesting!

I guess what I'm contemplating is the different approaches that could be used. Some people like a mixer into some converters, some people like a more integrated audio interface/converter setup, and I'm a bit lost in the options lol

The issue with most "mixers" are that most only record a stereo track, even if they have 8-16 inputs. There are some, like the Tascam Model 12, 16, and 24 which will serve as recorders and mixers. Zoom have the LiveTrak series which are similar. They would be great for recording a band live, and keeping the raw tracks for later manipulation.

The Tascam M24 and Zoom Livetrak20 each have 16 mic inputs which gives you a lot of flexibility in recording, especially if you do it live. I don't know if they would work as well for a streaming session, although both have onboard EQ, compression and effects.

A lot will depend on your workflow. I personally do live recordings on a Zoom R24 because it's compact and portable, and do other stuff at home with the 16x08. Both together cost me less than a used SSL AlphaLink.

Back