Recommendations for MIDI controller?

Roger Mac

Hey guys. Is there a FAQ for this topic? (MIDI tips, not description of.)

Been recording (analog) on a home PC with Cubase for about a year. Looking at getting into some MIDI stuff so I'm looking for either recommendations or tips, etc.

I have Cubase Studio Case which comes with several VSTi's (guitar, piano, Groove Agent, D'cota, Halion) but I don't have a MIDI input device. Not looking to create symphonies, this is mostly for a vocalist/lyricists to create some basic but decent tracks for demos.

Sound card is a Lynx Technology L22 and MIDI ready.

I know I could use one of the Cubase MIDI editors (key, score, etc.) but I believe a controller would make it easier. Plus occasionally we have real musicians in. :)

Also trying to keep this to around a couple hundred bucks. Is that reasonable?

Much thanks.

I assume you're looking for a keyboard controller, so how many keys are you looking for? MIDI controllers come in a wide variety of sizes (25, 32, 49, 61, 76, and 88-keys). It all comes down to what you want to do. If you're going to be recording piano parts, for example, you're best off going with an 88-key. If you're using the controller with a soft synth or midi sound bank for other instruments (guitar, bass, sax, etc.), you can probably get away with a 76- or 61-key because they do not need as high of a range. 25, 32, and 49-key controllers (and other sizes in between) are generally used for sampling sounds.

88-key controllers run anywhere from $200-$500. Keep in mind that these controllers are designed with a piano-like feel (graded hammer action, etc.), so they tend to be more costly than other controllers.

76- and 61-key controllers are probably the most common, for home studios, anyway. They can run from $160 and up. As they become more expensive, they usually have many more assignable knobs and buttons and things, so keep an eye out for those if that's what you're looking for.

I personally find a 61-key (5 octave) keyboard to be very versatile. Among the more popular controllers tend to be M-Audio's Keystation series. The 61-key Keystation is about $160. It also gives you some knobs and buttons and such, so it's a pretty good deal.

Again, it all comes down to what you want to do. You can find MIDI controllers at very reasonable prices, so search around for something you like and that fits your budget.

Good luck!

Roger Mac said:
Hey guys. Is there a FAQ for this topic? (MIDI tips, not description of.)
I think the question is more about the in's, out's and thru's of midi itself, not just prices of controller keyboards --- although I'm sure that's part of it too.

Whether I'm right or wrong, here are links to two good articles on midi basics -part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

Back