Recommendations for a knowledgable newbie.

Jross

I know a bit about recording and have done some mastering of simple recording tracks. I am very much ready to do more pro sounding work. I am building a computer specifically for recording. 1.8 P4 w/ a Gig of dual channel RAM. I now need to figure out what external equipment I want. I am interested in 8 tracks simultaneously. For drums and such. I only know about the analog cards where most offer only 2 to 4 inputs. I have investigated ADAT and am still not sure how that all works. Will an ADAT in card allow me to assign each track to a different input??

Will this 8 xlr in w/ATAT out and 8 XLR out
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHADA8000
go into this
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-RME-968PAD.html
ADAT in sound card
and let me record the 8 simultaneous tracks.

If not ADAT, what about SPDIF?

Or should I try (2) delta 66 boxes and hope my computer can hadle it. Then what do I use as a preamp? Are there any good preamps with xlr in and 1/4 out per channel?

I have been trying to figure this stuff out on the internet but its all definition, not process.

Thanks alot.

One answer

I have been researching the echo layla sound card for the very reason you are talking about, a more quality sound and recording multiple tracks simultaneously. I know the Echo Layla will allow this (6 balanced 1/4" ins+2 XLR ins, 8 balanced 1/4" outs) but it also depends on the DAW you are working with. Many DAW's are not made for live multi-track input. I'm currently using the Magix audio studio ( a ramped up version of Samplitude) which does allow assignable tracks and multi-track recording (called live input mode).

Also, beware of the possible problems with the chipset for the echo products, look into it before buying.

Hope this helps

SimplexMax

DOn't forget the Delta 1010 or the 1010LT. For the price of those two, you could probably snag a 1010.

BUt make SURE to check for motherboard compatibility. The problem with many high end video/soundcards is that they are VERY mainboard specific because of matching chipsets, etc.

But look into it. Even if you have to spend a little bit more to get it, it would cut Behringer out of the loop. And although I like my Behringer amp, I would avoid them where possible.

WHat are you getting for Hard drives?

The delta 1010 is nice but has no XLR mic inputs. I mainly want an 8 input card so I can record a drum set. Otherwise 4 would be ok. The echo product is cool except it only has 2 xlr inputs. To answer your question, I will use an 80gb Western Digital SATA hard drive.

I want 8 xlr inputs that can be recorded on seperate tracks......

I use cool edit pro 2.0 and I love it......

Also, If you use external effects or compressors, is it pretty much hit or miss during the recording? Or can you process your tracks through them after they are down?

That's why they make mixers and external mic pre-amps. If you get an all-in-one PC interface, you're stuck with whatever pres they stick in there. I recommend the Delta 1010 and a Mackie Mixer to get things started. The mixer will also double as a headphone amp and help with routing and such.

Jross said:
The delta 1010 is nice but has no XLR mic inputs. I mainly want an 8 input card so I can record a drum set.

Bulls Hit said:
Look no further than the Presonus Firepod. 8 xlr ins, preamps, phantom power, all in one unit

I second that recommendation. The pres are nice and clean and it is incredibly easy to use for any beginner.

Back