Recommend me quality DI and GEQ units, plz

paw1

Hi guys! I'm in need of a DI-box (or possibly a splitter) for simultaneous tracking of DI and miked cabinet signals when recording guitar and bass.

Also, I want a graphic EQ pedal for when I want to fine tune my guitar amplifier when recording.

Any suggestions on good boxes for these purposes?

Don't want to cheap out and have to buy new boxes in a couple of years, so sound and build quality is important.

EDIT: Another question:
When DI boxes have two outputs, is it typical that the "regular" output is low impedance and meant to be used with a mic preamp, and that the "thru" output does nothing to the signal, thus retaining the high impedance of the instrument's pickup so that it can be used with an amp? If so, would a DI box be a poor choice if I want to record two amps, or an amp and a AxeFX simultaneously? Would I need a Y-splitter in a situation like that?

Last edited:
EDIT: Another question:
When DI boxes have two outputs, is it typical that the "regular" output is low impedance and meant to be used with a mic preamp, and that the "thru" output does nothing to the signal, thus retaining the high impedance of the instrument's pickup so that it can be used with an amp?

That is my understanding/experience. It'll vary between different models and manufacturers though, so it's best to check each model before you put your cash on the line.

That is my understanding/experience. It'll vary between different models and manufacturers though, so it's best to check each model before you put your cash on the line.

That's very useful information! Just read about DIs yesterday and got this impression. What about "line" inputs, are they typically high or low impedance?

The 1/4 inputs on a different box are basically an input and a through.. plug the guitar into one, come out of the other one and plug into the amp. The xlr goes to a mic input of the recording device.

Using a YouTube cable to plug into two amps will probably result in a ground loop and human horribly.

The easiest way to split to two amps is get a pedal, like a stereo chorus, that has two outputs and simply don't turn on the effect.

You want some sort of active buffer to drive the amps, so you don't load down the pickup.

The 1/4 inputs on a different box are basically an input and a through.. plug the guitar into one, come out of the other one and plug into the amp. The xlr goes to a mic input of the recording device.

Using a YouTube cable to plug into two amps will probably result in a ground loop and human horribly.

The easiest way to split to two amps is get a pedal, like a stereo chorus, that has two outputs and simply don't turn on the effect.

You want some sort of active buffer to drive the amps, so you don't load down the pickup.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the advice.

Back