recommend me a vocal mic for this type of sound

BluesPower

When I use my SM58 for vocals, I only like the sound when I sing at least 6"-1'
(15-30cm) from the mic. This gives a cleaner and more spacious vocal sound, as opposed to a more bassy and muffled sound when I sing very close to the mic, even touching it with my lips.

What mic will give me that sound of a more distant SM58 when I sing very close to it. I'm guessing this mic will need some less bass response? Is there such a mic can can anyone suggest any brands/models?

I want to be singing closer to the mic so that it doesn't pick up other sounds form loud instruments, but still have that distant, less bassy and muffled sound.

Will a Shure SM86 condenser mic sound better maybe?

Last edited:
BluesPower said:
I want to be singing closer to the mic so that it doesn't pick up other sounds form loud instruments, but still have that distant, less bassy and muffled sound.

What you're in is sort of a microphone Catch-22.

You see, in order to get maximum rejection from surrounding instruments, you need a more directional mic. Preferably something with a very tight hypercardiod pattern.

Unfortunately, the catch is that the more directional the mic, the greater the proximity effect (the bassy, muffled sound you're complaining about that results from being right up on the mic). It's just an inherent tradeoff in their nature / design.

There's really only one mic I can think of that will give you the best of both worlds, allowing you to get right up on it without sounding "muffled" as you put it . . . while at the same time rejecting a lot of the surrounding instruments. That would be the Electrovoice RE-20, and that one will be a bit more expensive than your 58. You could also scour ebay in the hopes of scoring an earler version of the RE-20; look for either the RE-15, RE-16, or the 666 models. These mics were specifically designed to counteract the kind of thing you're complaining about. And they'd sound amazing and would be perfect (alright, not perfect but close) for your dilemna.

Other than that, your only other choice would be to work the EQ on your board ; cut some bass, maybe boost a little treble. It's about all you can do, since you can't exactly alter the laws of physics or economics. :D

An Omni-directional mic wouldn't have the proximity effect you're experiencing, but I guess it being an omni would defeat the whole purpose for singing closer to the mic. Any condensor mic is just going to make your situation worse. They pick up EVERYTHING in the room and often have an even more pronounced proximity effect when you get up close to the mic.

Shure SM7B is an excellent compromise. Like the Electrovoice RE20 mentioned above, it is a broadcast mic and a dynamic. It is designed, as much as possible, to reduce proximity effect and to retain its rejection of off-axis sources. As pointed out above, a compromise is the best you can do. All directional mics exhibit some proximity effect, and all omnidirectional mics pick up stuff that isn't in front of them. I can say the SM7B has far less pronounced proximity effect than an SM58.-Richie

Using broadcast designed mics would be one choice. Another would be to use a shotgun mic. Shotguns have a very very narrow pickup pattern so you can stay far enough awsy to have less proximity effect and still get rejection of other instruments.

I never thought of that.

Very clever idea. It's kind of way out there, but who knows? It might just work. Good thinking.

The studio where I attend voiceover lessons has two sennheiser 421s and a sennheiser shotgun (don't know the model). It really isn't apparent which one is on the shotgun when you listen back to the tape. But it gets more than its share of risque humor

Back