Recommend me a GOOD, USER-FRIENDLY sequencer.....

BigLex

I have a Roland JX-305 keyboard that I've been using its internal sequencer, and recently got an Ensoniq ASR-10 to sample to. I like using the 305's sequencer for laying down quick ideas, but I like the idea of being able to edit more easily and arrange complete songs better using a software sequencer- I've been using Propellerheads Reason a little over the past year, and for the most part I like its sequencer (I wish it had midi outs so I could sequence other gear with it). Both my 305 and ASR also only have 8 track sequencers, and I need more than that often.

I have Sonar/Cakewalk, Magix, Logic, Cubase, and trying to figure all of these out has given me headaches.. Cubase and Logic look like some complex programming program; Magix has all these silly little pictures for icons; Sonar/Cakewalk I'd heard is one of the most user friendly out there, and I tried using it last night to sequence my keyboard for a short composition I had to write for my music theory class and gave up... I am looking a sequencer like the one in Reason, that has a visible quantizing options toolbar and a piano roll that you can change how many units its divided into (1/4 notes, 16th's, 16th triplets, etc- I couldnt figure this out on Sonar) you dont have to do any deciphering to figure out what its icons mean.

I play drums and have a bass I plan to use on some of my tracks from time to time, so ability to record audio would be nice, but not necessary (I have Cool Edit which I can use for that, although being able to have midi and audio together would be nice).

Also, can someone please explain the process of transferring midi data from my keyboard sequencer to a software sequencer? It has no floppy drive, only a smart media slot... and sys-ex, to my understanding, only transfers data exclusive to the particular sequencer (hence the name sys-ex). One of my teachers told me the only way to do it would be to hit record in the software sequencer as I hit play on the keyboard's seq- how do I go about syncing them up so the software seq starts recording when I hit play on the keyboard?

Thanks...

You have Logic, and Logic does very well with audio & midi.
A very deep midi editing section. You just have to know where to find the functions your asking about....and they are there.
It takes some time to get familiar with any program
I use Logic for both and it works like a charm.

I have Sonar/Cakewalk, Magix, Logic, Cubase, and trying to figure all of these out has given me headaches..

Just curious, how come you have all this expensive softwares without even knowing their functions ?

IMHO, Cakewalk / SONAR is indeed the easiest yet powerfull. Ask anything you like to know about how to operate it in Cakewalk forum. We'll be there...

;)
Jaymz

Also, can someone please explain the process of transferring midi data from my keyboard sequencer to a software sequencer?

Keyboard sequencer MIDI out --> SONAR MIDI in.
Open new project in SONAR (File-->New-->16 Channel Multitrack), click Options -> Project. Select MIDI sync. Arm the tracks. Hit record. Play your keyboard sequencer. If you set 'em propherly, SONAR will record it. I can't tell you how to do that in detail, since we have different gear. This thread may interest you...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85869

;)
Jaymz

Yeah, Sonar's super easy. RTM if you have one and use the help section. Any software with that much capability is going to take a little effort to learn.

Also there's Acid Pro. It's probably the easiest software I've come across, but is mainly for loop based music and it's sequencer and MIDI implementation reflect this.

Back