Recommend entry-point compressor?

Shazukura

I'd like to solicit recommendations for my first compressor. If you've been keeping up with my posts you know that budget is important, but sound is more imprtant. Also a pre-amp may be in order as what I have at my disposal right now are two built into my Akai DPS-16 (which I haven't fully tested yet) and 4 on my Behringer MX 1604A (which I have no reason to dislike right now, but I'm guessing there is better.) If it matters, I'd be recording vocals, percussion, and "strange sounds".

Thanks in Advance for any tips!
-Shaz

for limiting/gating/mild compression :
Behringer Autocom Pro $79US

for a really really really nice compressor, the RNC of course....

after some research i'm picking up my autocom today....for the price its hard to go wrong, plenty of guys were buying them before the big behringer price drop so in a way you are getting the same comp people paid twice as much for twelve months ago.... i wsh more companies would go and slash their prices by 10-40%

Be warned. The gate no longer works on one channel of my autocom after using it for less than a year. And when Gidge said 'mild' compression, believe it. This thing sounds pretty terrible with more than a few dB of compression. Personally, I wish I'd saved my pennies and gotten the RNC.....

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

It really is worth saving up for an RNC if you can. You'll still be using it years down the road without feeling like you want something just a little better.

The RNC is also about the cheapest compressor that you can get away with using on your 2-track masters.

My first compressor, a dbx 166a dual channel gate/compressor/limiter only gets used for live shows these days- mostly because I don't want to risk gigging with the RNC. Everything in the studio that is compressed into the computer is graced by the RNC.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I presume the "RNC" in reference is the "RNC 1733"? What do you folks think of the "supernice" mode? $175 is definately at the higher end of my budget, but with an endorsement from Bruce I don't see how I could go wrong!

I am left with questions though, after looking at some info on the RNC online. 1 - it's designed as a "stereo" compressor with dual unbalanced 1/4" in/out jacks so... what's the best way to integrate it into my system? As I mentioned, I have both an Akai DPS-16 (HD recorder) with 2 mic pre's, and 4 mono aux-sends (1/4" unbalanced) which, by the way doesn't have aux-returns, you just patch to a regular channel, and I also have the Behringer MX 1604A mixer with 4 mic pre's, 4 aux-sends (1/4" unbalanced) and 4 aux-returns (2 stereo pairs.)

So, obviously if I have 2 or more mic's I can decide how to split the audio signals between two aux-sends and treat them as a stero pair, but what about if I'm just solo micing some vocals? Would I send that one source to two aux-sends so the return signal from the compressor is balanced? Finally, in general use, I'd want to use a 100% wet sound when using the compressor, right? Or do I have a lot more to learn about compression than I thought?

I can probably come up with more questions but I don't want to get carried away! Thanks again for all the great advice!

-Shaz

Bruce, Gidge, TrackRat, atomictoyz, doc? Buhler? Buhler? Buhler?

If anyone's around tonight, it'd be awesome to get an answer to the new questions in the above post before I head out for work in the morning.... I might have a chance to swing by the music store...

Thanks!
-Shaz

the behringers aux sends are'nt balanced (i was wondering the same thing last night)... what i am thinking of doing (damn compressor ain't arrived yet, tick tock tick tock) is sending the to the comp via aux pre fader, then coming out of the balanced out of the comp and into a balanced in on another channel... i think this is a lot of stuffing around though, but in theory i think it may be a good way to go.... apart from that i can't give you any other enlightenment, since i don't have my comp yet! but this is how i've worked things out.....i'm sure bruce, gidge track or a-toyz will come along and completely discredit my advice and tell you a much better idea :D

hehehe, well I certainly appreciate your input, Doc! But I thought I read that the RNC in/outs were all unbalanced? I'll go look and see what some other compressors offer for I/O and see if there is a lot of variety or if there seems to be a "standard"...

If I figure out how I'd hook it up to my other gear before one of the guru's comes to my rescure I'll post my sollution for posterity anyhows. I also took a closer look at my mixer (I have'nt had anything to hook into the aux yet) and see that my model has but 2 aux-send, so until I learn or am told differently I'm assuming I'd hook up the RNC by using both my aux-send, and one pair of my aux-return? But then I couldn't use the aux-1 feature "f/x to aux-1"... hmmm. still puzzling this out... I'll be back later when I have more info!

-Shaz

The RNC has separate ins and out for its two channels- its just has one set of controls so both channels are identical. The left channel is used for mono signals.

So, while I'm not familiar with the Akai, I think I'd run aux out from your mic channel into the left in of the RNC, then send it back into your machine however you normally do. Then use THAT signal as your track- so yes, you would use the compressor at 100% in place of the original signal.

Your mixer doesn't have inserts, does it? I looked at its specs and didn't see it. Boo hiss. This is what inserts were made for.

With the mixer, could you send prefader to the RNC, run it back into a different channel (NOT an aux return) then send that out the mains to the Akai? That would free up your aux.

Good luck!

You could even record your track uncompressed, play it back out anything on the Akai and run it back into the main inputs and record the new, compressed signal. Erase the old one and yer set.

And, yup, RNC's have unbalanced ins and outs.

Ahh, thanks for the info, Chris. I see the Behringer Composer Pro going under $100 and seem to recall it's a well-loved part of gear by it's owners... I can't recall if I've seen bruce comment on it one way or the other, offhand.

Based on what you say I'm thinking that using the external mixer with the RNC-out going into a free channel would be best, but using the Akai only isn't out of the question, either. I'll have to play with that and see what (if any) differences I can pick up. (I passed my hearing test with flying colors today, by the way!)

-Shaz

One other thing - yes the Akai DPS16 has an insert feature, from what I can tell (it's only a few days old) but I'll try to remember to take the manual with me to work tomorrow to learn how it might be handy (and even how to use it, if I'm lucky) :)

-Shaz

Oh! Oh!

If that insert jack works like all the ones I've used your problems are solved.

It uses an insert cable that has a TRS plug at one end and 2 1/4" plugs at the other. TRS goes into insert jack and the 1/4" jacks go to the in and out of the compressor. (and/or whatever other gear you want to plop in there)

Thats all she wrote. The compressor is then in the signal chain after the preamp.

Also, it is preferrable to compress the signal before A/D conversion. It allows you to record a hotter signal with a higher bitdepth along with suppressing spikes that can cause digital clipping.

Thus, as already explained, the signal chain is such:

mic->pre->compressor->A/D

Thanks for the clear summary, Lopp.

For the record, apparently the Autocom Pro is being discuntinued, and so my local G.C. sold me one for $29.

I'm sure there is a "RNC 1733" in my future, but for now I bet the Autocom can keep me happy. Thanks again for the advise, folks!

-Shaz

Shazukura said:
For the record, apparently the Autocom Pro is being discuntinued, and so my local G.C. sold me one for $29.

Excellent deal!

I'd almost buy a 3630 for that price... :eek:

Matt

hehe, I got a voicemail from the salesperson later that day. Apparently that price was a mis-print and they meant $79. hehe. Well it works for me! It really just means I can get the RNC that much sooner :)

-Shaz

Back