Recommend a Song

twsknight

Ok, I wasn't really sure where to put this, and after much deliberation I've decided I need advice from you loverly guitar people more than anyone else.

I want to pick a song that I can record and mix myself as "practice" for when it comes to recording and mixing stuff for my band. It'd also serve as something to put in the mixing clinic for people to critique without me forcing my band to record a song we've not quite perfected yet.

So here's the deal. My band play punk/rock music; so I wanted to pick a song in a similar style, but a problem arises...

I'll be recording everything (well except vocals, which the song will just have to do without initially) and my guitar playing is a bit limited. I'm fine with power chords and I can do a bit of lead guitar, but nothing like shredding or really quick.

I've been racking my brain and going through my Ipod and all the songs I think "I might be able to play that" tend to be recorded in the 70's/80's or clearly on a bit of a budget and, ideally, I want something that sounds reasonably modern in recording techniques.

So I thought I'd ask you lovely people to recommend some songs. The only one I've been able to come up with that was realistic and reasonably modern was "Hyena" by Rancid (unfortunately I can't post a Youtube as I'm at work).
I learnt it on bass in my teens, so I SHOULD be able to play almost all of it; it has a bit of lead and is a senible tempo so I can nail all parts without too much fuss. However, I'd much rather something else, something a little more modern. It doesn't have to be punk, but it certainly has to be based around guitar, bass and drums. I can't play keyboard for shit, so it kinda narrows things down alot.

I'm sure some will just think I'm being lazy, but please, help me out and recommend a song I can learn, record and mix for you all to tell me how rubbish I am at all three :p:D

Cheers!

if it is for practice, then what does it matter? Sounds like you are a little concerned with what is the "right" song. When you start recording you are putting yourself out there a bit and that can be nerve wracking, people WILL judge you by what you record, since you are putting your creativity and talent out there for whomever to hear. Screw all that and pick something you can play and then get started. People can say "that isn't my favorite tune, but i thought the drums sounded like ..." but how painful is that? If someone says something more critical than that, just translate it in your head to what it boils down to, don't take it personally.

I have done so many recordings in fits and starts because i didn't like how it went at first and it can really derail you from what you want to do, so i suggest you keep it simple and whenever you are challenged, start by scaling back. Seriously, if you are having trouble with a solo or a syncopated part and find yourself playing it over and over again without success (or at least improvement), then simplify it. Recoding and playing are different things, and if you need to practice to get the performance right, great do that, otherwise concentrate on recording something you can perform well enough to get the recording done, then build from there once you get the hang of things.

last point- if you are playing punk, stick with the original DIY punk mentality and play and recording something raw, with energy and feeling, shredding or complicated melodics isn't really what it is all about in the punk genre if you ask me.

Daav

I have a feeling I didn't make myself clear.

I was looking for a simple song to record so I can practice my mixing, editing, mastering etc. I wanted it to be modern so when I've got my mix done and something doesn't sound right I can put it in the mixing clinic and say "I can't get the guitars to sound like the original. I recorded them doing X, Y and Z". If I play say a Clash song and their original recording sounds a little flat or dated then my comparison to the original is pointless.

I realise that I could still record an old track and try and improve on it, but if I'm a noob (incase you couldn't tell) and I feel it would be better to have a reference to aspire to. I've not got the widest catalogue of new music, and some of the modern stuff is either too fast or too technical for my basic guitar playing.

As for the "record your own music". My band's music is too difficult for me to recreate on my own on guitar, and I'd have no direct reference for me to say "hey that should be panned further/needs a bit of reverb etc." I realise I could use a track I like for reference and put a few chords, a bassline and a drum beat together but if I'm recording something, why not have a direct reference? Believe me my song writing ability is nothing special.
We're on a bit of downtime with the band at the moment as one of my guitarists is off doing an intensive one month course and can't commit for a while. The other guitarist hasn't been with us long and we're concentrating on nailing the few songs we've got; so asking him to record what he doesn't know very well just seems like a waste of time.

As the band is a bit quiet at the moment I fgured I'd record something simple so I can work on my recording and mixing abilities. That way when we do come round to recording our stuff I'll know a thing or two because I'll have practiced my craft and had people let me know what I can improve on etc.

The only reason I thought I'd post here is because as guitarist, you all started somewhere, and I figured there'd be some young guns here who would say "when i started I sat down and learned "x" by y. It's straight forward and it's recorded well so you should be able to record it pretty quick and sit down a concentrate on the mixing.

The concern wasn't "if I record this song, people will criticise my taste" it was more "if I start with a dated sounding reference song, I'll sound dated" and my aim is to get the best out of the equipment I've got and the knowledge I've gained through this site, as well as books, youtube vids etc.

Here's the thing....

Since you already feel that your guitar playing ability is limited, how do you propose to record an already established hit-quality song on the same level as the original, so that when you sit down to mix, you can try to "sound like the original" and use that as some sort of guide…???

What I'm saying here is that mixing comes after recording...if your playing/recording is so-so, then there isn't going to be much similarity between your recording and the original for you to make a fair comparison between them during mixdown.

It's like your trying to skip past the recording and focus just on the mixing, but it ain't going to work. Most times the reason pro mixes sound great is because the tracking/playing was great to begin with.

What I'm getting at is...you still need to practice and get everything as best as you can from the first note. If you are going to be eventually recording/mixing your originals, spend the time practicing/working on your playing and songwriting...that way the recording and mixing will come easier.
You can always find pro recordings in the same style as what you plan on doing, and just use them as sonic guide...but no real need to try and re-track them in order to learn how to mix them….which would only work if you are able to play and track them exactly like the originals.

If you just want to practice mixing...try the MP3 Clinic...maybe some of those guys will give you copies of their raw files....and you can use them to learn mixing techniques.

I'm feeling a rant coming on, no, it's more like a tirade, but angrier! I digress.

Miroslav nailed it. The most important part of a great recording/mix/mastered song is ..... THE PERFORMANCE.

I don't care how many plug-ins or outboard racks you have. If the performance is shite, you ain't gonna make it great by "mixing technique"

This is why I hate the remix, rap, hiphop shite. People think I can just rehash someone else's stuff and add a few f bombs, and wholly cow, I is a musician!

Take the time to learn to play well, then record it. If it sounds like crap live, guess what you will hear when you record it!

Here is the only useful thing In my tirade. Have a look at a site like Vanderbilly. That will give you a shortcut to learning stuff, because somebody took the time to post it and show you how a song goes note by note.

OK, carry on.

please, help me out and recommend a song I can learn, record and mix for you all to tell me how rubbish I am at all three :p:D

Cheers!

Hybrid Moments - Misfits
Territorial Pissings- Nirvana
I believe in miracles- The Ramones

Just a few things that popped up on the mp3 player

Indigo Friends - Reverand Horton Heat
Remedy - Hot Water Music
Deadbolt - Thrice
Are you there Margret? It's me God. - The Lawrence Arms.

Thats where i would start ... :cool:

Seriously though,

I agree with Milonque... go for social D.

Ball and chain is only three chords. You could play a few bars and loop them riffs the rest of the way.

And if you can't nail that performance. . . ..

i would spend more time with your mates getting tighter before worrying about spreading your poor performances around....

Just a suggestion.

and there is always writing a 45 second joke song about dog farts and apple sauce.

One of my bands did that when we were sound checking for a demo once and added it as suprise on the b-side of the casette. it was a hit. Embarrasingly the most requested song at live shows.

Do it.

just record some of your favorite songs...If you cant learn to play those then perhaps recording can wait untill your able to do that.

Dont jump ahead to fast and think you need to record...most important thing is to learn and have fun doiing it.

When I was younger I would play for hours and hours a day...I could play my favorite songs note for note.

I didnt even think about recording untill much later on...I was to busy having fun learning my favorite tunes.

Also learning as many songs as possible helps you as a songwriter because later on down the road it gives you lots moire influences to draw from when writing.

Here's the thing....

Since you already feel that your guitar playing ability is limited, how do you propose to record an already established hit-quality song on the same level as the original, so that when you sit down to mix, you can try to "sound like the original" and use that as some sort of guide…???

What I'm saying here is that mixing comes after recording...if your playing/recording is so-so, then there isn't going to be much similarity between your recording and the original for you to make a fair comparison between them during mixdown.

It's like your trying to skip past the recording and focus just on the mixing, but it ain't going to work. Most times the reason pro mixes sound great is because the tracking/playing was great to begin with.

What I'm getting at is...you still need to practice and get everything as best as you can from the first note. If you are going to be eventually recording/mixing your originals, spend the time practicing/working on your playing and songwriting...that way the recording and mixing will come easier.
You can always find pro recordings in the same style as what you plan on doing, and just use them as sonic guide...but no real need to try and re-track them in order to learn how to mix them….which would only work if you are able to play and track them exactly like the originals.

If you just want to practice mixing...try the MP3 Clinic...maybe some of those guys will give you copies of their raw files....and you can use them to learn mixing techniques.

Don't worry, my guitar playing isn't that bad, I was just trying to emphasise that I wanted quite a standard rock or punk song. This whole process was so I could sit down, and work out every facate of recording. Starting with mic placement, right down to getting everything to fit nicely into the mix.

Just a disclaimer to all and I'm not moaning, but I've been trolling these forums at least a year before I joined. I know the importance of the basics I've heard the "if you're unprocessed sound is shit then you may as well start over" point made many a time.

I'm going to go through the songs and bands recommended here and find myself something that has similar production to what I'd like to achieve and I can learn within a couple of weeks and then start recording.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I think I've given the wrong impression about my guitar playing (it's just not my main instrument is all), but it looks like I've got some good recommendations here.

I'm curious....who are the songwriters in your band…are you one of them?
If you are one of them...why not write something quick/basic in the same style your band is writing, and treat that as your "from scratch" practice for recording/mixing.

Heck...if they are songs that you might end up doing with the band anyway...then you'll be a step ahead! :)

I'm not saying *DON'T* record-n-mix some cover tunes...lots of guys do that, especially if they aren't good at writing their own stuff or if they just feel like doing someone else's tunes for kicks.
It's just your idea of recording a known cover in order to learn how to mix it so it sounds like that known cover...well, like I said, unless you play/record ALL the parts of the songs very close to the original (and use similar gear), it will be apples-n-oranges trying to make them sound alike.

But in the end...and type of recording/mixing practice is better than none, especially if you are new to this...so go for it.

Any Ramones song. Seriously, if you're in a band, and can't handle a Ramones tune, then sell your stuff and find a new hobby.

Any Ramones song. Seriously, if you're in a band, and can't handle a Ramones tune, then sell your stuff and find a new hobby.

I thought about Blitzkrieg Bop as I can already play that, but was worried about sounding a bit dated and there's no lead. Might try and find something with a bit of lead guitar in it though; I can hear one song in my head now with a cool lead part and can't think what it's called. Well, I know what I'll be listening to on the drive home. :D:D:D

I thought about Blitzkrieg Bop as I can already play that, but was worried about sounding a bit dated and there's no lead. Might try and find something with a bit of lead guitar in it though; I can hear one song in my head now with a cool lead part and can't think what it's called. Well, I know what I'll be listening to on the drive home. :D:D:D

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue

Back